Long term rental Central Portugal

Hi, Myself and my husband are hopefully moving to Portugal in December, Does anyone have any advice when looking for a rental property which allows dogs? Thank you any help would be appreciated.

I assume that JohnnyPT can provide some information on the legal situation in this respect. Can a landlord forbid a tennant to have a reasonably small animal (cat, dog, rabbit, bird, you name it) in his rented house or apartment (always assuming that the animal doesn't make noise or causes a mess).

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please post a free advert in the Housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi, please read this:

Some remarks on Rental/Lease Agreement/Contract

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 93#5075332
(Post #9 to 12)

Domestic pets permission:
Law allows pets inside flats (up to a maximum predefined number of dogs and cats), but many landlords include in their rental contracts a clause that forbide pets to living there.

_____

In case your landlord allows pets, it is very important that you are aware of what the General Noise Regulation says. If you know you have a noisy pet, it is important that you train it so that it does not disturb the harmony of the building and the neighbours' sleep. Otherwise, you may risk a complaint. This happens mostly with noisy dogs and within flats or closed condominiums.

But legally there is nothing that forces or stops the landlord to accept pets in a rented house. However the landlord and the tenant can negotiate the removal of this prohibitive clause and try to have the approval for the presence of your pets in your house.

This clause of permission or prohibition of domestic pets should be written in the lease agreement right from the beginning to avoid any further problems.

https://www.noticiasaominuto.com/casa/1 … arrendadas

Kind Regards

Thank you for your help! I was wondering does anyone know of a house to rent Central Portugal for 3 months starting December. I am finding it hard to find a house suitable for my dog he is a large breed and needs a fenced in or walled garden. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again Catherine

Hi, I know of 2 mobile homes that would be perfect for dogs as they have of space. Maybe an option? Let me know.

Kev

Thank you For your help I will keep it in mind! Catherine

No worries, both are 20 mins from Beja in a town
called Ferreria

Kev