Income Tax Return Advise - As employee in NL

Hi,
Hoping to have answers on the below questions on subject:
1. Is it mandatory to file income tax even if your employer deducts taxes on your behalf ?
2. Since my employer deducted income taxes via payroll, I did not filed tax returns for the last 2 year (2018, 2019). That is simply because the plan was not to stay. However things have changed and think that it is wise to do so than not for the longer run. What are the consequences of not filing return for previous years? I do plan to file for 2020.

I do avail 30% ruling benefits. And I never received the invitation to file taxes ( blue envelope). And I do not have secondary means of income.

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

DesiEngineer wrote:

Hi,
Hoping to have answers on the below questions on subject:
1. Is it mandatory to file income tax even if your employer deducts taxes on your behalf ?
2. Since my employer deducted income taxes via payroll, I did not filed tax returns for the last 2 year (2018, 2019). That is simply because the plan was not to stay. However things have changed and think that it is wise to do so than not for the longer run. What are the consequences of not filing return for previous years? I do plan to file for 2020.

I do avail 30% ruling benefits. And I never received the invitation to file taxes ( blue envelope). And I do not have secondary means of income.

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Simple answers to your questions:

1.  Yes.
2.  You will be assessed in arrears if the Belastingdienst think you owe them money.

My own comment.  I'm amazed you haven't received the famous blue envelope, which is making me think why that would be.  Did you register your current address with the Gemeente?

My advice is to speak to a Tax Adviser (I'm not one); it looks like one of them has already been in contact with you; all I can add is that there are other Tax Advisors should you wish to use one.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,
Thanks alot for your response. Much appreciated!
Indeed, I am registered with Gementee at current address.

Again, Thanks !

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : please do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct