First impressions after moving to India

Hello everyone,

You probably have vivid memories of your first weeks as an expat in India. Indeed, moving to a new country is a milestone in someone's life.

Today, we invite you to share with the community how you experienced your first steps in this country.

Excitement, joy, worry: What was your main feeling when you arrived in India?

How has your state of mind changed over time?

Have you called upon expatriate support associations? If so, what was their role in your local integration?

What was the impact of your new environment (climate, setting, professional environment) on your mental health?

Is it easy to socialize in India? What advice would you give to newcomers to meet people, make new friends and build a strong professional network there?

Thank you for your contribution!

Have a nice day,

Diksha,
Expat.com team

Hi Diksha, thank you for that thought provoking question.  I have lived in Gurugram for 6 years now, so it is pretty "normal" for me and I am hardly surprised by much anymore.  I had to really think back to what it was like when I first moved here.  It was 2014 when we arrived and two things struck me: 1) how cheap everything was - I had moved from an island where everything was imported so it was extremely expensive to buy food and clothes there and too eat out; 2) how much people STARED at us.  I am olive skinned and dark eyes/hair so I did not think I stood out but it made no difference.  It is the most unsettling feeling to have that happen.  I was intimidated and took a few weeks to get the nerve to venture out on my own, to  take an auto rickshaw out and about.  But the courage came more and more with each successful adventure.  I miss being able to get out now with COVID.  Obviously I go out but in very limited areas and only in a car, no more autos adventures for now.
Anyway, thanks for question.  All the best,
Patricia