Living in Iraq

Hello everyone, Do american women have to cover their head? Can we wear pants and open toe shoes? Is there air conditioning in the houses/apartments?
thank you
salome

Hi salome,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Your topic has been introduced as a new thread on the Iraq forum for better visibility.

I hope other members will be able to help you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Salome--Kurdistan is is a pretty liberal islamic place.  You do not need to cover your head, pants are fine.  I would hope an apartment is air conditioned---if not do not rent it.  the christian neighborhood called Ainkawa---you can buy booze and go to bars.  totally relaxed and open place.  the local muslims from city centre drive through on the weekends just to look at women in jeans and uncovered heads.  how is that for exciting?

Salome—Kurdistan is open country and not pushing women to cover head, otherwise we r a Muslim country, regarding the dress, it free you can wear jeans, for apartments, you can rent apartment with air-condition, most of the nice apartments have Air-condition especially (Naz City apartments) it depends on kind of apartments and neighborhood. If you have any questions contact me by this email [email protected].

roger22, could you please participate on the forum instead of giving your email address ? I am sure your help(on the forum) will be appreciated

Ok thanks I do.

HI Salome,

I'm not veiled and lots of people that I know who work there aren't either. They wear what they want, but more conservative than at home. Also, our apartment has 3 air conditioning units in it.