Mixed marriage couple moving to Erbil, safe?

Hello all,

My husband has recently been based in Erbil with his company so we are going to have to move there. We both love the adventure and are really excited :) my only fear is that we are quite an odd looking couple :p
I am originaly from Tunisia , so i look arab, and my husband is Scottish and has the full body tattoo going on :) now we actually live in tunisia and we do get quite a bit of hassel from the locals, would just like to know if that is what i should expect there or not :)
And is there any sort of code of conduct in public
Thanks alot :)

Hi Lorisco,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi Lorisco.

I don't see any issues here for foriegners or tattoos. Usually most of expats lives in campounds or Ainkawa district.

If you need any further information, text me.

Thanks

Hello m.jawad.

If you have any other information on the subject, it would be great if you can share it with us on the forum.

Thanks

Karen :)

Hi Lorisco,

I don't think you will have any issues at all with the tattoo's you guys should be fine..

Regards
Omar

Hi,

it shouldnt be a problem, in most cases peopke would just look and stare. This is due to the lack of open mindedness. However, there are certain places that are crowded for example where sometimes young men grope women, either touching the hair or there bodies. The women here actually have more rights then the men in most circumstances. If you was to slap the prepatraitor in the instance then local uniformed police or undercover police will take the pervert away for some lessons in manners. There are also a lot of men here with tattoos,  kurdish and other nationalities. I have seen kurds with a whole sleeve all tattoo and its considered as normal but yhat only depands on the individual that is looking.i woukd say its 50/50 some people will find it quite normal others will not.
Women can go out by themselves, covering up with a hijab or burka isnt mandatory in kurdistan.
I have tried to cover modt things but the subject its complex and it takes a little more then this paragraph to fully explain but I hope u get the idea.

Good luck!

There are two ways to see the world. As a traveller or as a tourist.  As a tourist your 'investment' in a new country is temporary and fleeting.  In most places tourists are indulged and accepted as being 'different'.  As a traveller, it is a good idea to gather up as much information to make your proposed stay a pleasant and enriching experience.  Great question Lorisco!  So here's some advice from a 'mixed marriage' seasoned traveller. (Wait until you add your kids to the adventures! LOL!).  I arrived for the first time in Erbil in 2011. And I fell in love with it's people.  Was I stared at? Yes. Were strange remarks made about our 'set up' :)  Yes. Did I find myself having to explain all sorts of things about where I came from? How? Why?  Yes. And that is the point. While you are in Erbil, engage and connect. This is a truly special place because of all its people.  I would wear or at least carry a Hijaab and Abaya. Watch the ladies around you and follow their lead. I loved the old souk/bazaar and when I was being hassled by someone who wanted me to take his photograph, two young men stepped up, pushed him out, hollered something colourful in Kurdish and then asked me to "don't take nonsense from anybody trying to annoy you! Enjoy your stay and shopping  and Welcome to ErbilI"  - if I could have bottled such courtesy and kindness to strangers I would be a billionaire!  There are probably going to be the odd ones that will stare and what may look like a snigger to you may actually be YOU shifting the paradigm in their world and that snigger may actually be uneasy attraction...smile back. Conquer your enemies by befriending them. Share who YOU are. Be an ambassador for your country while remembering to be respectful of the culture, ways and traditions of those who call the land you visit, home.   Isn't that the point of going to strange new places?  Your excitement is palpable honey. Relax. Enjoy. Make happy memories. And enjoy the adventure. xx

Salam.
How are you?
I'm working in Qatar oil and gas industry as a general supervisor.
I want to 15 days visit visa for Iraq. Please can u help me or inform me about any visa agent.
Thanks

I LIKE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT WE ARE GOOD PEPOL
DONT BE WORREY,WELL COME TO IRAQ

Hi imad66,

It would be great if you could avoid posting with caps lock on the forum please so as to ease the reading.

Do you have other information to share with the members?

Thank you,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

hi hasana
yes i have some info .i have my sister living in erbil and i am planing to go there soon ,if you want i can send you my skype name ,i speak english and arabic
regards

@imad66 - pls note that Hasnaa is part of the Expat.com Team :)