Will doing my masters in Germany be beneficial in my case?

Hi All,

I am from India looking to permanently move to Germany/Austria/Switzerland i.e German-speaking countries. I am from India and was working in the IT field in India for about 14 years in Testing and Test management role. I have been applying directly to German companies for past few months, but so far I have received only negative answers. I understand learning German is very important to find work in Germany and hence I am targetting to complete A1 certification by End of this year and then begin training for B1. Another option that I was thinking of is to do my MS in computer science in a German university hoping that it would help me in finding a job in the German-speaking countries after I complete my higher education. But my concern is whether the German employers would consider me over-experienced seeing my background of 14 years of experience and thereby reject my applications. I am also ok to start over as a junior programmer as I do not have work experience in that area. But I am not sure if the companies would find that okay. Could someone please help me with thoughts and advice on whether higher education in Germany would prove much more beneficial in the chances of finding a job in my case.

Thanks and looking forward to your answers.

In general, the more work experience you have, the less important becomes your degree. Thus it would probably be of limited usefulness for your career.
If, however, you use the time while doing a M.Sc. for perfecting your German language skills, it might help you much more.
Applying for jobs much lower than what your work experience suggests does not usually help, because employers know that you'd only take the job temporarily and will be gone as soon as you find a more fitting one.

beppi wrote:

In general, the more work experience you have, the less important becomes your degree. Thus it would probably be of limited usefulness for your career.
If, however, you use the time while doing a M.Sc. for perfecting your German language skills, it might help you much more.
Applying for jobs much lower than what your work experience suggests does not usually help, because employers know that you'd only take the job temporarily and will be gone as soon as you find a more fitting one.

I agree with Beppi that another degree in light of your job experience sounds questionable. The real question is why haven't you gotten the jobs you've applied for? If they were specifically looking for people with advanced degrees then maybe it makes sense. Otherwise, it sounds like the wrong approach. There is currently a high demand for people in many fields of IT - so there must be a reason they don't take you. If you work in a specific niche of IT that is not so much in demand then maybe it is worth looking into if you can switch to a another area more in demand. Other possibilities might be that you make a bad impression. One needs to appear competent without being arrogant, a team player but able to take initiative. Knowing how one appears to others is not always easy, especially with different cultures. Sometime a bit of coaching in this area can help.

The level of your English in your post sounds pretty good but this is an area I suspect is one of the major failings of job seekers from India. In such a field, poor German skills might be overlooked when most of the work is in English anyway. But we've often seen Indians posting here about their failure, using very poor English. From an employer's point of view, if one doesn't speak good German, then their English should at least be capable.  It's hard to judge one's competency if one cannot even be understood. I'm not sure if it is possible to get any feedback about why one is rejected but it could really help to see where you need to put your efforts. One needs to know the problem before one can solve it.

Thanks Beppi and Tom for your inputs. So that rules out the higher education route for me.

TominStuttgart wrote:

The real question is why haven't you gotten the jobs you've applied for? If they were specifically looking for people with advanced degrees then maybe it makes sense. Otherwise, it sounds like the wrong approach. There is currently a high demand for people in many fields of IT - so there must be a reason they don't take you. If you work in a specific niche of IT that is not so much in demand then maybe it is worth looking into if you can switch to a another area more in demand.

I think lack of German knowledge is one of the possibility for my CV not getting shortlisted. All the jobs I applied for mandated German speaking skills of B1 level. However I still applied to try my luck. The jobs I applied so far were test and project management roles and hence I think knowledge of German was mandatory for those roles. I'm not sure if I'll be considered for tester positions considering my experience,  though I am fine to work in junior or intermediate positions.

Secondly, as you suggested, my area in IT may not be so niche. Maybe I need to reskill or upskill myself. I have done my PMP and CMST certifications, but maybe non-Euro citizens are preferred for technical roles and not for management roles.

Another possibility I suspect could be that my job applications are from India and not from German address as I am currently not in Germany. Employers may prefer to have F2F interviews than interviews over Skype.

TominStuttgart wrote:

I'm not sure if it is possible to get any feedback about why one is rejected but it could really help to see where you need to put your efforts. One needs to know the problem before one can solve it.

This is a good point. Maybe I could reply back the recruiters requesting them for specific reason for rejection so that will help me in where I need to put my efforts. I guess I have nothing to lose here by asking. Right?...

ninajoseph wrote:

Thanks Beppi and Tom for your inputs. So that rules out the higher education route for me.

I think lack of German knowledge is one of the possibility for my CV not getting shortlisted. All the jobs I applied for mandated German speaking skills of B1 level. However I still applied to try my luck.

This is a good point. Maybe I could reply back the recruiters requesting them for specific reason for rejection so that will help me in where I need to put my efforts. I guess I have nothing to lose here by asking. Right?...

I think you can always ask for feedback. But I have to say that applying for a job where you don't fulfill the requirements is mostly likely a big mistake.  I can understand the rational of testing the waters but first impressions are VERY important. By having applied and failed might mean you'll never get another chance at those particular companies. Your name might now be on a list of rejected candidates that doesn't get revised. Rather than having shown initiative it might have made your application look a bit reckless or irresponsible – applying where you wouldn't have been able to properly do the job. I would suggest not doing this. The exception might be, for example, when a company says they want 10 years of experience in a field and one only has 9 years but some other qualifications that go well beyond the other requirements to balance it out.

The other factor is language. Finding a job that requires a working knowledge of German is difficult for anyone who has not lived awhile in a German speaking country. Even if one has passed some tests those are often just official minimum qualifications. It's the same reason that many jobs require not only academic degrees but some years of professional experience. This proves one can really do the job. Same with language skills. Having taken courses and passing some tests doesn't mean one will manage.

TominStuttgart wrote:

By having applied and failed might mean you'll never get another chance at those particular companies. Your name might now be on a list of rejected candidates that doesn't get revised. Rather than having shown initiative it might have made your application look a bit reckless or irresponsible – applying where you wouldn't have been able to properly do the job. I would suggest not doing this. The exception might be, for example, when a company says they want 10 years of experience in a field and one only has 9 years but some other qualifications that go well beyond the other requirements to balance it out.

The other factor is language. Finding a job that requires a working knowledge of German is difficult for anyone who has not lived awhile in a German speaking country. Even if one has passed some tests those are often just official minimum qualifications. It's the same reason that many jobs require not only academic degrees but some years of professional experience. This proves one can really do the job. Same with language skills. Having taken courses and passing some tests doesn't mean one will manage.

So far I have only sent my CV, but have not attended any interviews.
In IT organizations in India,  if one has not attended an interview, then they can apply to the same company again without a wait time for other open jobs or positions where their skills matches. In case one has attended an interview with the company and failed in the interview, then the candidate has to wait for 6 months to apply to the same company for a job. Is this not the case in Germany?

And, though I did not have exact matching prerequisites, I had an alternative. For example if the prerequisite was ISTQB , I had CMST which is also a Testing certification, but provided by another organization. Yes I do not have the German language skills and that could have been a big deterrent in my CV.

ninajoseph wrote:

In case one has attended an interview with the company and failed in the interview, then the candidate has to wait for 6 months to apply to the same company for a job. Is this not the case in Germany?

There is no such rule in Germany.
But you should never send the same application twice!
The cover letter MUST be specific for each job applied for, and in most cases the CV also should be adjusted.