Are there any expat golfers out there?

I may be going off the beating path with this question, but i was wondering if there are any expat golfers out there. Preferably in the Santiago area. Oh hell! anywhere will do.
I've not played since arriving here on June 19th, so  my game might be a bit off.  Won't take but a bucket of balls on the driving range to fix that.......lol
I just want to play. Found a course 2.7 miles,( sorry I'm still in miles)  from my house and will hit that one tomorrow morning. I DO NOT like playing the same course all the time. I like the challenge of playing various  courses.
Don't care what your game is. I can play competitively or just to enjoy the conversation and the company. It's the only place where I may have more than one beer. one at the turn and one after the round.......lol
Here is another question for you. I had Ben Hogan  Edge golf clubs back home in the states but gave them to a friends son who graduated high school and was taking up the sport. I saw no better person to leave them to. I am now in the market to purchase a set of clubs. I'm sure i will find them at the course, but if you are a golfer you know  they can be a  bit overpriced at the golf courses as are everything they sell. Where are there golf stores or shopping stores that might sell gold clubs?
I appreciate any and all replies.

Yes, and live just down the road in Moca. However, until I get a vehicle bought, which may not be until Jan, I stuck with having to borrow my wife's daughters car every do often. I know there's a course in Santiago and it lòojs to be about the only one in this region. Do you know what a round with cart costs? Most of my extra funds go to appliance purchases and costs for processing for my cedula. I am used to doing different courses but is good to have a "home" track to go to. Used to be 7 handicap but shoulder issues and very little golf for several years likely has me back to the high teens or low 20s

Robert and I both love golf. Unfortunately, it is really pricey. There are only a couple courses, at least that we have found, in the North coast area. Robert mentioned staying the night at Dorado cause it makes the greens fees more reasonable.

Too bad for us. DR has some of the finest courses in the world. I kinda like my score to be less than my fees. Lol....

What are the fees in Santiago?

Hey guys! Thanks for the responses. They certainly placed a huge smile on my face. There is hope!..... lol
2Vp Soldier? I can understand that home course idea and it sure does look like las Aromas will be the ONLY course I will play in Santiago, simply because it's probably THE ONLY course in Santiago. Green fees from what I saw in their website says SENIORS?
By the way, that's the only time I refer myself as a senior is if the greens fees drop a few bucks or pesos...... lol other than that I am no senior, mind you.
The website said SENIORS gentlemen 500 pesos. Mujeres 400 pesos.
I will get more detail tomorrow as I am heading over there to get the low down. It says a lot of things. Membership is 15,000 pesos, so roughly $300 .
Not too shabby.
ChristieE I had to laugh at your comment about shooting a score less than your green fees. I'm still rolling after that one....... lol
Maybe I'll put together an expat golf tournament one of these days. I think that would be a blast for sure. Tinker can drive the beer cart.......lol just kidding buddy !

1999-2000 "B" Flight  U.S.V.I. Match play Champion.... 18 handicap I'll have you know !!    Now, I not safe behind the wheel of a cart. A great idea, however, I must decline. They banned golf carts here in Sosua. Therefore, no practice rounds much to my dismay. I'm very good at twist-offs & popping  the tabs off beer cans.

So we've got the job for you Tinker. Official tournament beer opener and for some possibly  taste  tester in case it might be flat....... lol

I concur - might be limited to being official opener and quality control offical ensuring every beer opened is safe....sometimes dirty job but takes someone committed to a good time......was just thinking if we got a bell you  could ring to let us know the next drink was ready and safe - could stretch your name and add BELL ......HEHEHEHEHE ASFSR AS PRICE GOES, IN CANADA WHERE I GOLFED WE PAID UP TO 5000 PESOS, SO COST IS RELATIVE. 500 PESOS IS CHEAP IN MY BOOKS, SO I LOOK FORWARD TO FULL DESCRIPTION OF YOUR EXPERIENCE..

Soldier, all the glitters is not gold. I don't normally ride as I like the walk as part of the challenge of the game, but a cart is 900 pesos. Now that I'm back on the site things are taking shape. If we are not socios, which I'm going to take as MEMBERS, the green fees are 1500 pesos plus 900 for the cart if you wish to ride it is now 2400 pesos which is about what I paid for a round in the states. For my taste and the love of the game, I'd pay that gladly, though I much rather walk a course and this course looks as flat as the sky is blue. Hilly courses I don't think exist here. But one never knows. From the pics of the course it looks like a cow pasture at one time........lol
1500 pesos is not much for a round of golf here. This is not the beach or any resort, BUT! it is the only thing in town..........lol
We'll find something for Tinker to do.......... for sure!

Hey friend, you spelled it wrong,......... it ain't Bell,.......... it is Balls !!    With a capital " B."

Well EXXXXXXXXXXXXCUUUUUUUUSE ME!
Good one Tinker....roflmao

Ok guys let me tell you that Las Aromas Golf club is quite a beautiful place.  Greens fees are about 2500 pesos with rental clubs and of course a few golf balls. if you hit it straight you won't need but 2 or 3 balls. I'm saying that for balls that hit the  cart path and get dinged up. This is walking the course. NOT riding.
It is 6001 yds from the tips as per many websites but the pro told me the length was 5640 yds. That disappointed me because you won't be hitting driver much.  Course is pretty open but I was only given the pleasure of walking the front 9. I'm actually going to play the course later in the week and will take some pics. I did not play today because I left the house around 11:00 and 18 at that hour is like playing in hell. Not one bit of a breeze to cool the bones......lol You've got to get out there around 7 to 7:30 to get off by 8 and finish by noon or earlier.
I did not see many people playing the course....lol I think I counted 2 foursome and a 2some
I think we might have found a home though soldier. people were friendly. pro gave me a tour of the clubhouse, and introduced me to some at the restaurant or cafe.
All in all I think it is certainly well worth the play, and probably play it regularly.

Sounds good. As long as they rent pull carts as my retirement gift to myself was a bag made for driving carts - NEVER even thought of being here then....

I have no doubt that if they have walking rates they also have pull carts. I don't plan on carrying my bag either buddy...
They also have caddies but I did not inquire if they are mandatory. I won't play the course if I have to hire a caddy. That is a deal breaker for me.
Pics to follow later in the week. It's going to probably be Friday. maybe i'll find a group to play with or wait for someone to show up to play with. I don't like playing alone.

We ll! It's Friday and I am excited to finally get around of golf in since arriving here in June. This could be the start of something good.........lol

well my friends the news is not good.  The course did't open until 8:00 Am so I got there and had to wait for the person to show up to open up. paid my greens fees and requested my rental cubs. This is where it began to get interesting.....lol
I was told they do have rental clubs but upon arriving now to officially play my first round in Santiago I was told that I paid the person whose clubs I was using. ooooooooooook, I then proceeded to go outside and had to wait until a caddy went home to get his clubs to rent to me. I could only imagine what those clubs were going to look like when they arrived.
Then the pro approached me and guess what? he is not the pro, he is the head caddy who then introduces me to my caddy. I explain, " sir! I appreciate the fact you wish me to play with a caddy, but this is not being televised and  frankly I am walking the course, and a caddy whom I've never met nor practiced with has no idea of what my game is. So no I don't need to pay and then tip a caddy. He then said those words I certainly was not interested in hearing. "IT IS MANDATORY that you have a caddy. I asked why? he repeated his same remark with now a smile on his face.
I proceeded back into the office and retrieved the greens fee I just paid and called a taxi to bring me home.
I'm sorry to say I will not be playing golf anytime soon. Might just hang up the sport here on this island.

Sorry to hear this.  Sadly so many businesses here are short sighted!!!!!

Never had those problems at Dorado, Puerta Plata.  Don't know the fees as I was a guest of friends each time. I know the peace of mind from the daily grind that comes from time spent on the course.  I empathize with you.  Don't despair, you will find a way to play.  After all Tinker Balls wants to ride the beer cart!

The only course I know that does not make a caddy mandatory is likely in Costambar!  A small course but cute.  Great clubhouse, restaurant, spa and pool though....

Well after a not so great start of my day I got news that my  birth certificate was authorized to be corrected. I received that letter of authorization through WhatsApp from my cousin in Santo Domingo. The day was starting to look up. I was instructed that I could go to retrieve my birth certificate here in Santiago after noon today.
At 12:15 I began my journey to the office with  huge smile on my face. I was shocked to find not very many people there. whoohoo!
Got taken care of rather quickly without taking a DMV number system that is never called anyway. I've been here so often over the last 4 weeks they know what I like for breakfast already.....lol
Now I think you all know that we are not in Kansas anymore right? Well? I didn't.
I thought everything was going to go smoothly and before 3;00 PM I'd walk out of there with my cedula in hand.
Then the flood gates opened. Even though I had in my cell ,this letter of authorization for them to make 2 simple changes to 2 letters which were  botched in my birth certificate, I had to wait until they went back and retrieve the the same letter from their email address.
And I wait! AND I wait some more.
The woman finally comes back with blank pieces of paper and my heart dropped.
She said, " the email is there, but this what I printed." and she showed me the blank pieces of paper. All that came to mind was, no golf, now, no cedula.
But there was some hope. it was slim, but hope, is hope, is hope. I was pleased we had hope....lol
I could not email them the copy I had which was quit legible, NO! that would be far too easy. Instead I had to go back home, print this document, and return with a hard copy.
So I did just that.
I returned to find a mass of people dressed in wedding gowns and fancy  attire waiting now to get married,and the best part? they were ahead of me, for the man performing the weddings was the same man who needed to sign the document after its corrected.'
Long story short. i got all that taken care of, with half hour before they closed to spare.
It never happened. As I went into get started on obtaining my cedula, the first person I saw ask me the question that ended my day. DO YOU HAVE YOUR PASSPORT?
I'm going back Monday to get my cedula finally. woohoo!.................................lol
Twas not such a bad day after all............................lol
Think I'm so happy I'm going back to Las Aromas because now i do deserve to play a round and hopefully Saturday if I can get teamed up with another party who is riding then maybe i won't need a caddy. It has to be someone riding though. Needless to say, I'm playing with or without a caddy. I need some golf to get ready for my week ahead after I get my cedula....I need golf..... BAD!