Opening a bank account in Spain

Dear Forum Members
A general question to anyone in Spain and then specific question for those around Denia in Marina Alta area:

1. General - What do I need to open a Spanish bank account please? I'm not living there yet, I need to have s Spanush account and pay a certain amount of money into it for 3 months before I can do my Residencia

2. Specific for Denia area- Santander in Denia has been recommended to me as they have English speaking staff (my Spanish isn't that great yet). Any other recommendations please?

Planning to go out to Denia in next week or so so any speedy responses appreciated
Many thanks
Kim

As I posted before, when you said it would be two years before you came to spain. 

Hi Kim.   I would wait to see what happens after Brexit.  Everything might change so no good planning now

Two years ahead, a tadd  too soon to ask I think

Hi
Thank you - apologies I should have explained better. We are going to rent in the next few months so we have a bolt hole over there. Info we have is that if one of us completes our Residencia before March 2019 the rest of the family can come over after that date with the same set up as we have now as part of the EU.
😀

Firstl,   until Brexit, after that no one knows,  an EU citizen who becomes resident in spain applies for  an EU Citizen Registration not a RESIDENCIA as that only applies to non EU Citizens.  It may apply to brits after Brexit  If it does then  brits, like other non EU citizens, may need to prove at least 27,000 euros per couple income per year

One does not need to pay money into a spanish Bank account although having one's pension paid into an account is one way to prove the pension exists. Info from DWP would too

Depending on the bank one may only need a few euros and a passport to open an account.  Some banks will insist on a certificate of non residence whilst other will require one before the account  can be operated

If one moves to spain  or lives here permanently for three months then they must register as above

I repeat no one knows what will happen after Brexit so anything you hear is no more than a guess at present.   

I do not understand the bolt hole  comment. Either you move to spain and register or you do not.  If you move to Spain  you become tax resident too and then liable to Spanish tax on your worldwide income and in some circumstances assets too. That can also apply to capital gains tax on say a property sold in U.K.

With regard to the bank accounts I'd have a look at the online ones. In some sort of survey Triodos came out as one of the most ethical and with the fewest hidden charges.

I understand, though I haven't checked, that several of the online Spanish banks offer their services in English translation. One of the other online banks is ING direct who advertise on the telly that they are good for foreigners!

On a personal note I've often thought that Caja Rural, Rural Caja and it's many variants seems to have offices all over the place even in the smallest of towns. I've used four different banks in my time here and my wife uses another and all of them are fond of charging and not particularly responsive or helpful.

Johncar - 27,000€ per couple? That sounds pretty high considering that the Spanish minimum wage is now 10,300€ per year.

Re income required for non EU Nationals

This is just one web page
http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados … rativa.pdf

Extract.  ‘Proof of adequate financial resources: Bank statements of the previous year, investments, sabbaticals, annuities and any other source of income totalling a minimum of € 2,130/month (or its equivalent in USD). Add € 532/month (or its equivalent in USD) per spouse and per each child.'

Re minimum income

Unless the figures have changed in the past couple of months,  if a Spaniard has an income of over 5,136.60 € p.a. or as a couple 8,732.22 € then they cannot claim financial support allowance

Incidentally, at present for EU Citizens, those are the minimum income amounts one needs In order to apply for EU Citizens Registration. but as I said Brexit may substantially change that for brits

Thabnk you culebronchis that is helpful

Hi all,
Found an interesting article here regarding what might happen after brexit.
There is no way I have that amount of disposable income available  (relying on state pension and works pension) so I thought my plans may be scuppered. However I would have a decent lump sum put away in excess of £30k so combining that with my pensions would be sufficient. However, it is the healthcare angle that could be the fly in the ointment as no-one knows what this will be.
if all goes to plan and I move to Spain at beginning of January I don't think I will have enough time left to secure my residencia  before the March deadline so I may have to go down the indefinite permission to reside route.
http://www.solicitorsinspain.com/articl … ter-brexit

Digger.    As long as I one gets an appointment one can download an EX18, and a 709, pay at a bank and submit the EU Citizens Registration application on the same morning 

So arriving in January, easily completable within a couple of weeks

Just a thought

I was speaking to my bank this morning and it transpired that if one has or opens a current account, as resident or non resident,  one can avoid the standard 15 euros per quarter maintenance fees by  buying as little as 1,000 euros of shares in that bank.   With such one will even get a small interest paid into their account

I would think that may apply to other banks too

Error

@ Johncar - thanks. I was mistakenly under the impression that the process took months and residencia would only start from completion date and not application.
Which current bank account is the best? Do they all charge a maintenance fee? I assume as long as you are in credit there are no other charges made on day to day transactions like DD or standing orders etc.

Digger.   I think you still are not clear

One applies for EU Citizen Registration and within a few days you get the green paper certificate     I am not 100%  sure which date is shown but it can only be a day or two different so irrelevant

As for which bank:

Whatever you do never think you might know what rules, charges, fees etc will apply.   They vary considerably from U.K. and from bank to bank

Make a list of all the services you may need and ask about each.  Preferably get the answers in
writing

The manager can alter the rules. Example :  my bank charge when money is deposited.  Usually that is a percent on the whole amount.   I have negotiated that the most i will ever be changed for any transfer is 0.30€

Hi, I am in the process of obtaining my “residencia” after many months of trying to get medical insurance that will prove to the authorities that it covers me for at least 12 months ( not easy as ALL policies end on the 31st Dec ) and you have to get the insurance company to issue you with a “guarantia “ to prove that you will have cover for the next 12 months ( again easier said than done),
My question is at what point do I have to or not apply for citizenship..?
Or is residencia all I will need for the rest of my life , I thought after six years permanent living here it was necessary to apply for citizenship?..

Only non EU nationals have RESIDENCIA    EU NATIONALS have EU Citizen Registration (the green paper certificate )   The Registration is temporary for five years   It then automatically becomes permanent

After ten years one can apply for Spanish nationality but that is not simple unless you have fully integrated into Spanish life, a rarity for most Brits

However that is as it is now,  after Brexit no one knows what will happen

Hi John , thanks for your prompt reply , interesting that the word “residencia “ is banded about by everyone we've dealt with!
I started a thread many months ago mostly regarding bringing a vehicle over here from the UK, I am waiting until I have finally got it registered to put my story on here from start to finish ! All I will say for now is that it has proved to be incredibly difficult and whilst the UK number plates have still been on it , it has become a magnet to the police ! Only advice at this point is unless you really really love your vehicle sell it in the UK and buy over here ,unfortunately secondhand vehicles are really bad value for money even if you are lucky enough to find a decent one ! Watch this space !

The reason why the correct terminology should be used is because RESIDENCIA exists and thus it can and does lead to complication when people apply for their paperwork.   However after Brexit, ,when U.K. nationals will be non EU, they may then need residencia    They will then realise that obtaining residencia is a lot more difficult than registering as a EU citizen.  The latter have the Right to live in spain, non EU citizens do not and therefore must meet more difficult conditions.  One of which is an income of 27,000€ p.a. as opposed to around 5,000 !

I. know the term residencia is often misused, rather like in U.K. CAR TAX is,  but in U.K. there is no such thing as road tax so not so misleading

Extract from https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/road-tax-doesnt-exist

Road tax is a term used by car magazines, car manufacturers, newspapers and government websites. However road tax doesn't exist – it was abolished in 1937. What we have today is a tax on vehicles (vehicle tax) not a tax that pays for roads.

Thanks again John for your prompt reply , my partner as stated in earlier comments has type 2 diabetes and has so far hit a brick wall regarding medical cover ,any suggestions where to apply , have tried DKV ( who I am with) Adeslas,Sanitas etc etc , with no success , I find it hard to believe he cannot obtain this because diabetes is so prevalent in so many people of all ages , also he is 54 years of age never smoked,doesn't drink , gym most days and a healthy diet and perfect weight and BMI of 23 , but still not able to get cover , any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Under a new law everyone who is living in spain, who does not have medical cover can get free cover within the Spanish health system.   

This is a new provision provided by the central government in Madrid which came to power  about 5 months ago

I understand one would need to prove that are living here and that they have no other cover.   

As it is a new provision it appears it is being dealt with differently by different regions. 

I suggest you research that line of enquiry

Best of luck   John

Thanks John, interesting, any idea where we start enquiring, as you know it's a minefield of information and mis-information here, especially  here in Gran Canaria ,!!
One thing that is true of trying to live here is that if you ask three qualified professionals ie The Police, a Lawyer,a Gestoria three questions ,you are likely to get three different answers ! This is why we are trying so hard to get Residencia or whatever it needs to be called  before March next year ,because whatever transpires then it will definitely make this application more difficult, that's a raging certainty!
Kind regards Martin

I just googled ‘free health care in spain'    There were a lot of leads.  You should be able to find what you need there

PS. You failed to say that  the different answers you get asking lawyers etc is that. not only are the answers all different but that none are likely to be correct !

Hi John ,thanks for the medical leads ,will take a look,
Regarding the P.S.  haha ,very funny ,but oh so true !

Hi to everyone, my name is Susanne and I am new in the forum. We just moved to Spain my husband is British  and I am German. We got a good lawyer who is dealing with our paperwork. It is very complicated and you do need legal representation . Next step is getting RESIDENCIA. A good estate agent is very important because they will help you with the paperwork as well. ( filling in forms translating for you ) .

Uber.   Sorry but you are confused

You and your husband cannot apply for RESIDENCIA as you are both EU citizens.  Only non EU citizen can and indeed must apply for residencia

Obtaining EU Citizen Registration,  which is what you and your husband require is very straightforward and it is very unusual for people to employ anyone to assist with that

Like I said my husband is British and in March he will be a no EU citizen. So better to apply now for RESIDENCIA  and after we got that you can change your British driving license to a Spanish one. Without RESIDENCIA no chance of changing anything from british documentation to Spanish . It is sound advice and we hope everything goes smoothly.

Uberlingen

Sorry if I may  appear pedantic but U.K. is still in the EU.  That means your husband cannot apply  now for residencia.  That is the law

You say you have moved to spain   If that really means spain is now your home (centre of economic activity )  then you are required to apply for EU Citizen Registration without delay.   

What might happen at some time in the future, does not apply

Nevertheless, what will happen if or when there is a Brexit no one knows.  Thus it is pointless to discuss what might happen or when it might happen

I hope this clarifies your position, which as I said, is at present simple and straightforward

Thank you for that we have a meeting with the lawyer on Monday and I will ask him.

I hope you are lucky and he knows. 

Working at a national police station as I do, I am aware many professionals who come with their clients to make their paperwork applications, display a serious lack of knowledge.   Fortunately we are there to put them right

Hi johncar, I've followed this thread and your comments in particular with interest. Could you clarify what you mean by "residencia". I've been here three years, pay taxe here and have a NIE but my understanding is that I do not have the right of permanent residence until I have lived herre for five years when I can apply - is that correct or am I mistaken?

You have temporary resident status ( as an EU National).  After five years that automatically becomes permanent   You do not have to do anything to achieve that.   

Non EU Nationals are required to renew their residencia after five years when they acquire the status of permanent,  but they need to renew their status every ten years after that

To clarify. 

To just have an NIE does not confer resident rights in any circumstances

Residencia applies only to non EU nationals.   The card which are issued with is a valid ID document

EU citizen registration applies only to EU nationals.  The green paper certificate they are issued with id not a valid ID

The two differ significantly in the processes required to obtain them

EU nationals have the right to live in Spain albeit they need to comply with certain rules

Non EU nationals do not have that right thus must prove their qualifications to be allowed to reside in Spain.

Of course U.K. nationals will/might cease to
be EU nationals after Brexit (if it happens).   If it does, that might change the position and rights U.K. nationals at present enjoy   At present no one knows what will happen

I hope that answers your question Jedex9

Many thanks, really helpful 😁

Hello

Its not easy to find a bank that will let you open an account with regular income. However ING direct in alicante let me open an account 2 years ago, you do have to have a spanish living address and ID. But they let you have an account

My son recently opened a bank account.  He is not resident in spain and is unemployed.    He produced his U.K. passport and NIE Certificate

I am not aware of anyone who has been refused an account either as resident or
Non resident. 

I have a very wide circle of acquaintances and speak to many members of the public so I do not understand the last post

It would be interesting to know others experiences

I was refused from opening an account with BBVA because I didnt have a job,  and Duetsche bank would with certain condition that didnt help me, But when I went to  ING direct they were ok about it.

Maybe you missed a word from your  post when you said. ‘Its not easy to find a bank that will let you open an account with regular income'

Apologies  if I made a mistake. I am new  to social media

When I first came to Spain I tried to open an account without a NIE and managed to get one with Caixabank. Amongst others I also tried ING and one or two others but they wouldn't deal without a NIE. When I got my NIE I transferred to Sabadell which offers free banking but they require a minimum €700 per month deposit - ING require around €1000. It may be because your son is unemployed and doesn't satisfy the minimum monthly deposit requirement - all I can think of.