Living in EU and Brazil legal consequences related to driving license

Hi,

I read here on forum that after 6 months living in Brazil you need to convert/get Brazilian driving license. Last time I had (being then on vacation) international driving license (I'm from EU). I had control and everything was ok. However now after being married with a Brazillian woman I will apply for visa and stay longer.

1. where to find specific (CURRENT) law articles to see on what basis I need to make new driving license?

2. If I will get Brazilian driving license I can keep my EU country license? is EU driving license not valid if someone is outside Europe more than X months/years?
If I will leave most of the time in Brazil can I extend my EU country license when going there to my home country for vacation?

3. What if person would have Brazil visa (as married to Brazilian woman) but the person would live 2 years in Brazil... than 2 years in EU... what about taxes/driving license etc ?

4. what if law says after 6 months I need Brazilian driving license. what in case as some people here told were using their origin country driving license would have an accident? what about insurance etc. The same in EU if for example it would  not be valid (not because of expiration date but because of some international law articles that said after moving to other country/not being in europe your driving license is not valid anymore?)

Hi, GringoJanusz.

Your driving license from EU can be used for not more than 180 days after your entrance in Brazil.   If you intend to stay longer, you will have to go to DETRAN, the Transit Department and get a new license.  DETRAN website has not an English version.

After 180 days of your entrance, your driving license from EU will not be useful in Brazil. Better to keep it at home. You'll need to get a Brazilian driving license at DETRAN, no matter you are married to a Brazilian or not.

If you have an accident with no valid driving license here,  you'd be subjected to fines, suspension of the right of driving for a certain time, retention of the car, a criminal investigation, depending on your fault etc.   Driving without a permission is called infração de transito -in portuguese- and  the owner of the car can be charged with a penalty and negative scores on a national database also.

You will need a  RNE  -ID card for foreigners, specially if married to a Brazilian- to present it with your driving license in any situation you get stopped, even if using your EU driving license.

peace be with you!

You can keep your EU license when you get the Brazilian , it's an easy process