Moving to Phnom Penh

Hey guys and girls!

I hope you are all well...
My name is Steve and I am from England originally and am moving over to Cambodia this December and I am looking for as much help, advice and input from you with regards to finding and renting a condo or a house in Phnom Penh please!

To start I would probably only be looking for something nice, cheap and cheerful so would consider anything up to about $500 per month.
I need help with...
1. Finding a suitable place to rent.
2. Location, location, location! I really need information about where's good and where's not so good please.
Ideally I would like to be in a social area where there are expats and locals that I would be able to make new friends with...
An area with a good selection of food and drink.
I am also into my gym so I would like to be local to a well equipped gym.

Thanks very much for taking time out to read this and I look forward to your help.

Cheers!
Steve.

Hi Steve.

As for area I wold highly recommend the area around Russian market [Tuol Tompoung].

I live there myself and it is great, many restaurants, coffee shops, rooftop bars, shops with healthy foods [if you are into that], several supermarkets and of course the market itself, a great source of fresh vegetables, fruit, peeled pineapple, name it.
It's a quiet area, no industries, no heavy traffic, many schools around.

As for gym, in your budget there is room for an apartment with gym and swimming pool. I live in such a residence and it's great. I pay less than 500 usd a month, including cleaning once a week, 24 h security, elevator, wifi, cable tv.

I invite you to have a look at the housing section here, search for flats in Phnom Penh and a load of available apartments show up.

Good luck, if you need more info PM me.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hey Joe,

Thanks very much for the reply mate!
I did actually see on here last night a couple of apartments in the Russian market area and they both looked like lovely  :)
Do you think I will have no problem finding a place come December? I'm worried that it will be high season and therefore many more people looking and wanting to rent!?

Cheers brother!

Stevieboy wrote:

Hey Joe,

Thanks very much for the reply mate!
I did actually see on here last night a couple of apartments in the Russian market area and they both looked like lovely  :)
Do you think I will have no problem finding a place come December? I'm worried that it will be high season and therefore many more people looking and wanting to rent!?

Cheers brother!

Hey Stevie.

High season means tourists, the apartments you see are for long term rent, like six months and longer.
So no fear that there are no apartments available.

To be totally sure to find a suitable apartment you could come six weeks prior to your arrival and sign a rental contract, pay the [usually one month] deposit, which means your apartment is deposited and cannot be rented out anymore. So you are sure to have your apartment and also avoid to stay in a hotel while searching for an apartment.

Cheers.

Joe

Hey Joe,

Yeah I guess your right a lot of people will only be holiday makers so not looking for long term rentals.
I live in England right now so don't think me just nipping over to sign a lease agreement 6 weeks before I move is cost affective but I appreciate the idea.

I will however now be able to do some research looking into that area and find some contacts in real estate whom deal with property there.
Also if you could maybe keep an ear to the ground for me please, that would be great!

Cheers!

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed, please register yourself in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct