Budapest average salary and living costs?

Hello all,

I got an offer from an international company's Budapest office but the offer is lower than I expected. I am not sure what the average salary is in Budapest and do not want to miss this chance by making an insensible decision.

So just imagine as you got an offer with below advantage and disadvantages, what would you do??

-Company is  one of the top companies in the world
-Salary is average rental x 3 (I think it is low but not sure, if someone wants to help me, I would tell the exact salary on direct message)
-Job title is kind of a demotion
-You are not an EU citizen and you are worried about your home countries current situation
-Your wife supports you to accept this offer and go there alone at first to try it for a couple of months.
-You may not find another job in Europe for a long time, may be never.

That would be great if the ones answer who knows Budapest. I need to answer them tomorrow so if someone helps me tonight, that would be great.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would think the salary would depend on what type of job, qualifications and experience  you have.

A quick Google search shows average salary in Budapest is euro 650 after tax. (200,000 huf) 

Minimum salary in Hungary is euro 444.

For cost of living www.numbeo.com  also check through posts here on the forum.

In the first quarter in 2018 the average gross monthly wage in Budapest was 398 550 HUF

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : asked to be deleted

What exactly is your domain and what kind of experience do you have?

bittabi wrote:

So just imagine as you got an offer with below advantage and disadvantages, what would you do??

IMHO: If where I am is miserable, and is otherwise a bad place to be for a number of reasons, and if another places offers more security and freedoms, I might take a job as a ditch digger, even if a huge drop in income and job status just to be in that better place. IF (and this is a big IF), the new place offered me a real secure option to live there permanently, and was a fare and honest society, where I would have real upward mobility options. Because then I am sure I could work my way up from ditch digger rather quickly.

But, are all of these options in this job offer? For example, your contract may be just for a short time. And you need not have any expectation to remain in Hungary (or the EU) after that contract expires.

Also, there is often a trial period (often 3 months) where the company can let you go for no reason at the start. So, even if you do "take the job", I would assume that would happen and not plan long term till that period has passed. Also, a lot of companies hire people in places like Hungary especially because it is a lower income country. So they will expect you to do the same job as someone in, for example, Germany for 1/3rd the pay. Yet many/most retail prices here are at western Europe rates.

Finally, some companies offer a job but expect you to deal with immigration issues. So, just to clarify, does this job come with the work visa from the company? Or do you have to self apply for a work visa? There are benefits and problems for each option. If the company does the visa paperwork, then it is easy to come here to work, but if you are let go, then your visa also ends. If you get the work visa yourself, then if you are let go, you can probably remain for a while and look for another job.

klsallee wrote:
bittabi wrote:

IMHO: If where I am is miserable, and is otherwise a bad place to be for a number of reasons, and if another places offers more security and freedoms, I might take a job as a ditch digger, even if a huge drop in income and job status just to be in that better place. IF (and this is a big IF), the new place offered me a real secure option to live there permanently, and was a fare and honest society, where I would have real upward mobility options. Because then I am sure I could work my way up from ditch digger rather quickly.

But, are all of these options in this job offer? For example, your contract may be just for a short time. And you need not have any expectation to remain in Hungary (or the EU) after that contract expires.

Also, there is often a trial period (often 3 months) where the company can let you go for no reason at the start. So, even if you do "take the job", I would assume that would happen and not plan long term till that period has passed. Also, a lot of companies hire people in places like Hungary especially because it is a lower income country. So they will expect you to do the same job as someone in, for example, Germany for 1/3rd the pay. Yet many/most retail prices here are at western Europe rates.

Finally, some companies offer a job but expect you to deal with immigration issues. So, just to clarify, does this job come with the work visa from the company? Or do you have to self apply for a work visa? There are benefits and problems for each option. If the company does the visa paperwork, then it is easy to come here to work, but if you are let go, then your visa also ends. If you get the work visa yourself, then if you are let go, you can probably remain for a while and look for another job.

This is a good answer .
You also sometimes have to take a chance in life and gamble.
If your home country is that bad and your wife understands you need to set things up before she comes over then that's already a good sign.
I am American but several times my husband wanted to try something totally new and change the direction of our lives. He went first to different countries , states  and cities before I and our son followed.
It's much easier for one person to find a cheap rental or move into a room mate situation as a temp. thing to get settled.
My husband was a skilled worker in Hungary in the old communist days.
He left HU not knowing what to expect in the west. He didn't even speak a western language but he still gave it a try.He knew no one in the west that could help him in a pinch.
At least you have a job waiting for you and you speak  an international language.
What's the worst thing that can happen? You move back to your home country.
Give it a try, not much to lose. Good luck.

Don't worry too much about the low pay, it will work out, once they realize you are an asset to their co. they will try to keep you. Perhaps you will find a better paying job once you are in Hungary.
My husband was able to find a  job in the US very easy because his job skills were in high demand at the time.
However because of his lack of English he worked for fellow Hungarians who took major advantage of those who couldn't speak English and needed a job.
This motivated my husband to learn English, he quit working for the scammer Hungarian and kept getting better and better paying jobs.
Finally he moved to Ca. was able to work for himself as a sub contractor and made twice as much money as most people we knew then.His goal was never to be rich but also not to be used.
Things happen but you have to start somewhere. Can't start at the top.
Sounds corny but you have to believe in yourself.

Thank you very much for your replies. I accepted the offer without making a counter offer. I decided to take the risk this time and I hope I made the right decision.
Now I have to get the work permit and then I will be able to make this move.

(Now it is time to look for a roommate for a couple of months. I know there are people over there reading this who knows what i can do about this :) )

Apologies for posting an answer which could be considered rude.

To me if you are speaking on a salary which is 3 x rent, this is for me to be considered a good offer if you start your career (I started mine at EUR 900 pm and ended with more than10x that (I just got stressed and family circumstances forced me to go out before 50). Building a career also means taking a bit of risk (the country of employment is less relevant). If you are from outside the EU and you feel you have an employer who is fair, I feel you have a very good offer.
Depends on you are you clever, willing to work (very) hard, to me you should take it (also considering in Europe there is a lack of young people.