Banks/money

Anyone know if it would be a good or bad idea to get a credit card with the bank I open up?

would only be used for essentials not for fun just as a back up

Hi and welcome back,

In general, most Dutch banks will not give you a credit card unless you have a job with a contract and your credit limit will be reflected in how much you are earning.  If you have a UK card, you can use that in Holland.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

so if myself or partner gets a credit card set up in the UK before we move and we use it in the Netherlands will we be charged for using in another country?

we're happy to get up normal back accounts in the Netherlands but were thinking about a credit card incase of an emergency or if we are desperate.

You don't generally pay for a credit card unless you use it; with the benefit of hindsight, my opinion is that credit cards are for use in emergency only and to be paid off completely the next time you get paid.  You'll find that most supermarkets in Holland won't take a foreign credit card.

Definitely a good thing to keep in your back pocket if you need to leave in a hurry.

can we use the credit card in cash points to get cash out??

Yes, but read this link and this link before you decide.

You will be given a choice to pay in £pounds or €Euros. You pay with the one that has the best exchange rate.