Overstay or no overstay

Hi there,

I am thinking about coming to the DR and would love some advise or expertise on the so-called overstay in the DR.
Read a fair bit of threads about this on this forum, but after a quick search I got to a site of the Dominican Government itself, via the DR embassy in the USA, stating the following:

The Tourist Card allows a stay of 30 days in the country, after which, if wishing to stay longer, the Tourist can extend his or her stay paying a fee which will be proportional to the amount of time he or she wishes to remain in the country. If information on the matter is needed, contact the Ministry of Migration.

This implies it is not in any way illegal to stay longer than 30 days...

Another question, when staying in the DR longer than 30 days, and paying the fee upon departure. Will this in any way be registered and show up on your passport as having overstayed?
Asking because of possible future visa applications in stricter western countries.

http://www.dgii.gov.do/tarjetaTuristica … fault.aspx

Welcome to the forums.  I do not believe it is illegal. I do not believe it is registered in your passport. I will try to confirm.

The country can refuse admission to the country at any time to anyone for any reason. We are guests here. And they can change the rules when they want.

Am i mis-interpreting this from the website.....

Who is exempt?
All tourists entering the Dominican Republic should purchase a Tourist Card except countries with which the Dominican Republic has previous agreements.
Tourist exempted from the Tourist Card purchase are:
Residents, Visa holders and Dominican nationals.
Foreigners arriving from Argentina, Chile, South Korea, Ecuador, Israel, Japan, Peru and Uruguay.

So if anyone were to visit say Argentina first and then travel onto the DR, you wouldn't need a Tourist Card, and therefore wouldn't ever face overstaying charges?

I believe it means citizems or residents of tosecountries, not those just passing through them,

BellaLinda;  don't worry, it's only a shakedown.  They don't really care how low you stay.  Sometimes you can even get a deal when leaving by bribing the official, so they might take half the fine, and put it into their pocket, instead of to the gov.

Guests?  If you a 'resident', you're not a guest.  Is Arnold Schwarzennegger a guest in the US?  Is the presidents wife?  No, they're residents, not guests.

Only exempt if you are a citizen or their version of resident in those countries.

Colonel -  IF you have full residencia is one thing. We are talking about  people who OVERSTAY a tourist visa. They are not residents, they are guests who are allowed to visit! nothing more or less.

OK, I thought you were saying that even if you're a 'resident', you're still a 'guest'. Many people claim that.

I'm on the  side of the person who said shakedown. I had a recent encounter after accidentally over staying for 4 days. I'm going to write about this in full detail soon. That said, my attorney has warned that they  are becoming stricter and that they allow over staying for a while but inevitably  when you're  fully vested in the country they come after you.

Thank you for that update!

Good morning,
How often. Can you get a tourist card for 30 days within 12 months (ie travelling back and forth to DR) until one's temporary visa comes through? Also how long does it typically take to get one's temp visa?
I apologize if this is in another thread
Thx

You can get a tourist card as often as you need. I know people who travel every  3 weeks. IF you have made application for your residencia - deposited the paperwork here and gotten your xray and blood work done - you should have a file number to Identify your application. With that you should not have to pay an overstay fine.  Ask your lawyer  where you are in the process.

Temporary residencia can take  3 months to  18 months currently.  What they say it will take and what it actually takes are two different things!  Congrats to anyone who gets it in under  6 months!

Was wondering where to get chest xray & blood work done....here or in the states?

That happens here after you deposit your application for residencia honey!

OK....Thanks! :)

Hi Denlevi,

You are required to have two medical exams. One for the visa process and one for the residency process by a medical facility chosen by the Immigration government office.

The first medical exam is typically performed in one´s country of origin but can be performed in the DR as well.

He was clearly asking about the exam requested once the paperwork is filed.

It would be helpful if you were more consistant in following these forums and answering questions as you seem to get clients from the people here.