Moving With Wife & Kids - Where To Stay In Juffair (area)

Hello everyone! My name is Doug, and I am an American that will be relocating to Bahrain soon (in about 3 weeks / End of June 2018). AAAAANNNNDDDD I need some advise, badly!  :-)

My children are 2 girls, ages 7 and 10 and 1 boy age 14.  My wife and 7 year old (step) daughter are Filipina. My 10 year old daughter and son are American.

We need a 3 bedroom flat, apartment, condo, villa, et el...  And our budget is 600 to 650BD / Month.

We need something near good private schools, preferably with the American Curriculum (for my son's ability to immediately transfer to a US College in a few years).

We need our accommodation to be central to the children's school and to shopping.

All things considered, we think we will try and enroll the kids into "Modern Knowledge School" as it's the only one in our budget range for all 3 kids. This school is in "Juffair".

Can anyone recommend an Expat community in Juffair or near Juffair with furnished apartments or 3-bed room villas?

Or are there any clubs or hangouts where American and European Expats typically congregate? Maybe a few Christian churches? 

Im trying to find the best way for myself and my family to assimilate and adjust to the new area. The easiest way would be to get my kids around other similarly aged children and for my wife and i to cultivate adult friendships too.

Or offer any suggestions on what websites and locations to use to search for an apartment/condo in our budget?  Google doesn't return a whole lot of useful stuff.

Thanks for your help!!!

Juffair is not where the major compounds are located.  Just not enough space.  However, having said that, there are quite a few high quality accommodations.

The one that I know of is Fontana Towers - pricey but has literally everything i.e. furnished apartments, small 7/11, dry cleaners, coffee shop, cinema, pool, sauna/spa, big gym and the holy grail i.e. parking :).  Also the community is predominantly expats from western countries.  I am sure that there are others which members will point out.   But keep in mind that these kind of facilities are likely to be 1000BD plus and not in your budget.

I have also seen a smallish compound of villas on the left side of Juffair - as you enter, turn left from first traffic light and go straight and it will be to your left.

The sites which you can look on are OLX, Bahrain property world and also Gulf Daily News classifieds.  However, this place is not like Dubai where everything is online - which is where realtors come into play but you need to be here for that.

There are quite a few clubs like the British club etc which are not too far from Juffair - 10/15 min drive away.  Churches are also relatively nearby in central Manama.

Having said all of that, personally, I wouldn't live with the family in Juffair.  You will see why on any given weekend with the invasion of Saudis - not enviable to be a woman in Juffair then.  And also, it is party central but not in a sophisticated way.    It is preferable to live somewhere else still relatively near to the school e.g. Seef.

AHHH!!! Thank you so much for your reply!!  I will be there for several weeks living in a hotel before I decide on a place just to be sure... My wife is Filipina and the Saudi's on sex-tour there will probably see her as fresh meat... Which I will see them as road kill.. Sooo maybe Juffair might not be too good of an idea.   I'll be sure to pay close attention to things and will investigate Seef for sure!  Thank you so much for your reply!

Looking into it, Seef is probabbly going to be too far away for us. Traffic in Bahrain is horrible. Seef to our kid's intended school, without traffic is 20min+. With traffic it's could be upwards of 40mins or so... This isn't reasonable for us.

My office is located just north of Askar. Seef to Askar will be an hour + commute (or so I've been told). This is a hard drive to make 2x a day :-)....   

I really hope Juffair, Mahooz, etc areas wont be too too bad.   I guess I'll begin finding out in a few weeks when I get there. :-)   THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY MY FRIEND!

Actually yes and no.  My office used to be in Askar and I stayed in temporary accommodation in Juffair when I moved to Bahrain.  I have done that drive many times.

Nowadays, it will take you longer from Juffair to Askar as the shortest route through SItra has construction happening on the Alba roundabout and the traffic congestion at times is unbelievable. Isa Town way is also clogged at rush hours.  Seef on the other hand; you can get on the main highway and get to Askar through Riffa or take the last exit at Zallaq and loop around.  The direction coming and going works for you traffic wise.

Mahooz is much better than Juffair.  And not that far.

Thanks for the advise! I will look into Mahooz as well! FO-SHO!

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

There are so many American family's living in Juffair as its very close to Schools like Bahrain & modern knowledge. If you're looking for furnished flats, Juffair is the best. Mahooze will have only very few nice buildings. there are many buildings in Juffair that are renting only for families and long term Lease. (like 1 year minimum contact).