Retirement Visa - Americans

My husband and I are recently retired and want to live in Europe. We have friends in Spain, and are strongly considering moving there. I would be interested in communicating with someone who has gone through the process. Thanks so much.

I would suggest contacting the wagoners.

They live in Almunecar.

Wagonersabroad.com

Hi Reggie,

I've just gone through the process. I'm not in exactly the same situation - I'm not retired as such - but I did apply for the non-lucrative visa (as a USA-American). (I assume that's the visa you're thinking about?)

I don't know how helpful I'll be, but I've done a lot of "research" and I've just been through the application process - and I'm happy to be as helpful as I can be. Feel free either to PM me or to ask your questions here, and I'll do my best. I'm sure some others here will have more things to say!

Hi lashend!!  Thanks for getting in touch.  Yes,  it's the non lucrative visa.  I have to figure out how to PM on this site.  We have done a bit of research and have talked with the consulate office in Chicago,  so we at least have a start.  I have concerns about leasing an apartment. We've been online and have seen some listings for apartments to rent.   I've sent messages to agents asking them to contact me but so far no one has responded.  We want to buy a house,  but feel it's best to rent for the first year. Did you rent a place?  If so,  how did you find an agent to help with that?

Thank you for this information!

Dear Reggie,

I've lived in Spain for a bunch of shorter periods (3-9 months) through the years (for work and study), so I was more or less familiar with how to go about renting an apartment. When I thought I might want to buy a place, I went for three months (as a "tourist", in other words) to the place I thought I wanted to buy; I rented an apartment directly from the owner (see below) and used it as my base to visit places I thought I might want to buy ( a bunch of places in that town, and a few in nearby towns, too).

RENTING: To rent a place, I wouldn't bother with an agent. I think you're going to pay top dollar (expat prices) if you do that. I'd go right to the ads: Fotocasa, Idealista are the big two ... then I think Milanuncios (and there's where I found my 3-month rental) ... and get in touch with the owners directly. Unless you have fancy requirement - in which case, yes, go straight to the agent - that should let you find the sort of (rental) place that you're looking for.

BUYING: (And this might answer your "how did I find an agent" question.) I went looking on Fotocasa and Idealista and in the local (town's) inmobiliaria (real estate) agencies for places that seemed like something I'd like. And I hit the "make an inquiry" button ... got answers ... followed up ... went with my gut ... visited a couple places. I met a couple of real estate agents who were awesome. They really did a great job linking me up with the sort of place I was looking for. (In fact, I became good friends with the woman who ended up making the sale.) My point is: if you do want to go the "real estate agency" route for RENTING as well as for buying, "just do the same thing." Go on Fotocasa and Idealist, find some places that seem like good matches, hit the "make an inquiry" button, get some replies, see what you think you about the reply and the agent, and go with your gut.

Sorry, shorter and brusquer and less comprehensive than I'd like to be! But I think that gives you at least an idea of how I went about renting (in the first place) and buying (in the second). Feel free to "ask back".

Thank you so much for this information! Really helpful! You have no idea how much I appreciate this.

Thanks for this information...I will  try to contact them.