Tax Return for UK Expat - 2017

Hi everyone  :)

I became a resident (family member) in February 2017 and also applied for a tax number. I have earnt nothing and have brought into the country what I hope is less than the amount where you are obliged to pay tax.
So, basically, I have no tax to pay, as far as I am aware.
I presume I am expected to make a return?

What is the easiest way to do so, please?

Many thanks and a have a fabulous  day

Matt

It is the law here that everybody, regardless whether you have to pay tax, has to fill a tax return in.
Many expats employ an accountant but we do our own as it's quite straight forward, you still have plenty of time as they are not due in until the beginning of June and normally not received until nearer the time.

I understand they will send you the return in June to the address you used when you registered.

Yes, are you having your post sent on?   We just put our new address on the tax return when we received it, never informed them beforehand.

MovingToTheMed wrote:

Hi everyone  :)

I became a resident (family member) in February 2017 and also applied for a tax number. I have earnt nothing and have brought into the country what I hope is less than the amount where you are obliged to pay tax.
So, basically, I have no tax to pay, as far as I am aware.
I presume I am expected to make a return?

What is the easiest way to do so, please?

Many thanks and a have a fabulous  day

Matt

We registered at the tax office when we first arrived but heard nothing and had to go in and remind them.

The Tax Number will be your ID number.

They only send out the Tax Return about  2 weeks before you are due to return it!

The tax year here is the calendar year

From memory, the Tax Allowance is around €9000, a lot less than the UK!

You are taxed on income remitted here (unless it is from capital)  and any income earned here. If you paid tax in the UK on monies remitted, then you should be able to offset that under Double Taxation rules.

Ray

GozoMo wrote:

Yes, are you having your post sent on?   We just put our new address on the tax return when we received it, never informed them beforehand.

I informed them as soon as we moved, along with all the others,  Licence, car tax, insurance, bank and so on. A  neighbour intercepts any that still like to use old addresses.  Our postman refuses to use our letterbox, with name and number on it and puts them in another box, name and number also on it, I think it's easier to reach from his bike.  :dumbom:

Only on Gozo!