Rebates

Does anyone know if there is rebates to be had in Costa Rica for buying air conditioners for my condo

I don't think so. At least we never received any on our previous installations.  If you purchase a unit from a 'hardware store' rather than from a A/C company, I doubt they will install it, if you need someone to do it for you, which is what we were told.

Be prepared for a potential hefty increase in your electricity bill   :sick

I've never seen coupons (for anything) or rebates like they have is in the U.S.
Some stores offer a discount if you pay in cash.
I bought a Carrier A/C with a SEER rating of 16 from EPA that was on sale. Their price Includes installation , which was carried out by very professional A/C contracting company out of San Jose.
I have it in my bedroom and use it about 3 hrs/day. My bill is not noticeably different. (last month - 18,000 colones) I also put fiberglass roll insulation in the ceiling.

doug mabee wrote:

Does anyone know if there is rebates to be had in Costa Rica for buying air conditioners for my condo

The topic/subject of rebates made me wonder if there are discounts for electricity if you are elderly, or have medical needs such as oxygen concentrators.  An oxygen machine is like operating a/c 24/7 in terms of electric.

No rebates...and consider yourself very lucky when going to return an article and actually get your money back.

There has been discussions recently for the very, very poor to have the rates lowered... :/ but there is so many very, very poor people here.

kohlerias wrote:

No rebates...and consider yourself very lucky when going to return an article and actually get your money back.

There has been discussions recently for the very, very poor to have the rates lowered... :/ but there is so many very, very poor people here.

I'm just thinking/brainstorming here.  So medical is cheap, but if you have a medical need like an oxygen concentrator you won't be able to afford to keep it running...  And of course, if you have medical problems staying cool or warm (depending on the weather) is very important.  Getting hot, or cold can severely exasperate some medical conditions.  Like I said, just thinking out loud (or in writing, hehehe).

Depending on where you live, both ex-pats and Ticos run dehumidifiers 24/7 during the rainy season.
Running an A/C could cost you $$$'s a month, especially when living at the beach as has been posted on this forum.

kohlerias wrote:

Depending on where you live, many ex-pats and Ticos and ex-pats run dehumidifiers 24/7 during the rainy season.
Running an A/C could cost you $$$'s a month, especially when living at the beach as has been posted on this forum.

An oxygen concentrator costs is like running a/c -- sucks the electric right up.  In the states many (if not all major electric companies) will provide a "medical needs" discount that lowers the kilowatt cost to the customer; typically the medical need discount is independent of income.