Residency

Hello Expat community!

I'm a dominican american, first generation in the US. I'm moving to DR soon and want to know who has info on residency. What the requirements are? And any details or online resources/phone numbers you may have. 

Though I have lived in DR, it was as a teenager back in the early 90's. I haven't been since 2006, and so I am sure things have changed quite a bit. I have family in DR, but will be making some moves on my own for now before announcing it to family which is like telling CNN or better yet UNIVISION.

Gracias en anticipación

Jenny

Welcome to the forums.  As a Dominican  you do not need residency but can get your Dominican passport honey!  Skip the entire residency process,  you don't need to pay for that! 

Check with the Dominican Consulate near you for what you need. I know you need to prove your heritage,  birth certificates etc.  But I am not certain exactly what you need!

Anything else we can help you with just ask!  When are you moving and where to?

Where you born in DR ? A male Dominican who marries a female extranjera is a good position. She is granted citenship after 6 months of residency according to  the constitution of República Dominicana. I have an apartment in Washington Hieghts , are you in my nieborhood ?
John

That rules applies both ways!

I'm a US citizen. My parents were born in the DR. I lived in DR for over a year and a half as a teenager, and now want to return. I am not a dominican citizen. But not sure if the process would be easier for me since I have parents born in the DR.

Nosnownyc wrote:

Where you born in DR ? A male Dominican who marries a female extranjera is a good position. She is granted citenship after 6 months of residency according to  the constitution of República Dominicana. I have an apartment in Washington Hieghts , are you in my nieborhood ?
John

No I'm not from Washington Heights. I'm from the suburbs of South Jersey.

Honey you have the right to Dominican Citizenship because your parents are Dominicans!!!!  Sooooo much easier!

This is great!! Maybe now I have to tell my family, to make this easier for my self (well sort of easier)

Muchísimas gracias PLANNER!

I only asked because of the Web of connections that exist here
Best of luck

This forum is so informative! Love all the people willing to help!

Siempre honey!!! Best of luck!

Hi, I'm an American male married to a Dominican born US citizen. We moved here to Santiago in October 2016, I have my residencia temporal (long, painful, expensive process). We went to the Junta Central in Santiago, filled out a few forms, paid (not much, can't remember) and our 24 year old daughter was given a Dominican birth certificate and a cedula.....bottom line easy, cheap and painless!!!! Hope this helps!

Great info thanks!!!! and you are able to get citizenship by virtue of your marriage as well honey.

So, I just ordered my exemplification letter which is what I need to start the process of obtaining my Dominican citizenship. I spoke to the consulate in Philadelphia, PA and everything can be done here in the states! This is great news, and we'll be smooth sailing from here. FOR NOW! Thanks for your help guys!

It seems this is what I will have to do for my boyfriend. I'll have to sponsor him in order for him to obtain legal residency. We will not be getting married and therefore, this is our only other option.

Glad you are through with that obstacle!

Yes Ma'am, that's the plan!!!!!!

Sounds like you know how to treat employees with respect.
I bring my skills and do my best to leave the attitude. I just ask for VIP even though it may not be stated. Monitoring your case is key . I never waited to be informed, always proactive. Just like you had been working on a project you wanted to go off your desk. Ex pats have these skills. Congratulations.