Benefits for pensioners

Hi all, I  joined this forum late last year in preparation for my move to Spain later this year.  Today i called into my accountant just to run a few things past him, and was shocked to hear that I may not be eligible for an old age pension (Ireland) because of some recent rules that have been introduced. Just bonkers to say the least.  Anyway, can someone tell me or direct me to a website to find out what benefits a Spanish resident and/or citizen is entitled to when they reach pensionable age (transport, healthcare,  if an old age pension is guaranteed .... that kind of thing).  I am an Irish citizen, in my mid fifties, soon to be divorced. My ex and I have never ever claimed on the social welfare system, we have always paid all our taxes in full and on time (model citizens !)

jennifer

Sorry but I am not too sure about your question. 

You imply that maybe you are entitled to a State retirement pension from Ireland.  Does that mean you worked and qualified for a pension in Ireland?  IF so what is the exact reason you will not get it ?

What Spanish citizens, who have paid into the Spanish system,  get applies to them not automatically to other EU citizens.

There are some local discounts available for all residents who have reached retirement age.   For example:    I get 50% discount on local busses.  I could also pay for a discount pensioners card for national rail journeys.

If you are able to give some specific info I am sure you will find others who will be able to give you good advice-.

Pension rules here have changed in Ireland recently.  I am having my accountant look into it a little more.  I have lived in Ireland for 25 years, I am an Irish citizen.  My hubby was born and bred here and has worked all his life.  We have payed  all the taxes, property charges, prsi (social welfare) and all the other charges/taxes that has been required by us in full and on time, and yet, as things stand today ...... i may not been entitled to an old age pension due to some new rules.   He may not be entitled to a pension either.   I guess what I am asking if I was a spanish citizen, is there an automatic entitlement to an old age pension ?  ( like there used to be here )   My husband is a self employed plumber, we make a living, nothing more.  Our taxes etc are jointly accessed.  Im just baffled what the government thinks we are going to live on.

Sorry Jennifer I have no direct knowledge of what applies to Spaniards albeit that I have lived here 30 years,   I have not worked in Spain. 

My working  life was in UK.  and that where I have my pension and health cover  from, and thus  I am very aware of all  the rules applying to UK.

I do have British and Irish nationality

you are lucky you arent living here Johncar.  I am just baffled what the government thinks we and others are going to live on.

Thanks anyway Johncar, maybe someone else may know the answer.

Ill be moving to Spain anyway, I was just hoping maybe If i took out Spanish citizenship when i qualify i might/will be entitled to a pension. 

I think i rather live my life out in the sunshine.

jennifer

You can apply for nationality after being resident for ten years.   The tests are very difficult now and require more or less fluent Spanish

My wife, a Filipino, applied after two years,  special concession for former  Spanish colonies,  she failed without a hope

I also would believe that even had she succeeded,  she would not automatically get any rights or benefits.

Thanks again Johncar, something else I can have a look at. 

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

To have the pension in Spain you need at least to work 15 years in the country.

If you never worked or less than 15 years you have another one but you need to have lived at least 10 years in Spain and the maximum per month is around 350 €

The website to have more information depends on were you are planning to live as it depends on the region and not the state

Marnie22 wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

To have the pension in Spain you need at least to work 15 years in the country.

If you never worked or less than 15 years you have another one but you need to have lived at least 10 years in Spain and the maximum per month is around 350 €

The website to have more information depends on where you are planning to live as it depends on the region and not the state

I thought it was something like this. It very much like that Austria.

For you to get a state a pension it doesn't matter if you are a citizen of the country you must have paid into the system.

Thanks for that and I do know all of that.  I have been paying in to the system here in Ireland  with my hubby for 25 years as self employed.  I think the problem here is (I still need to confirm this)  which class  of prsi (our social welfare contribution)  you have played. And there have been changes here to the pensions over the last few months  that may rule me and 1000s of other people  out of being eligible to claim an old age pension.   I also know I am protected sum what under EU rules and ibwill qualify for a non contributory  pension of about €5k  which is means tested if I don't qualify for anything else. Guess I'll have to find work asap when i arrive in Spain and continue working until the day I die !

It seems weird as Spain is asking to justify that you have enough money to live there and or take an insurance, would you have the name of the EU rules, please ?

Marnie22 wrote:

It seems weird as Spain is asking to justify that you have enough money to live there and or take an insurance, would you have the name of the EU rules, please ?

All though you don't need a visa. All EU countries ask that you have the means to live on after 3 months in living in the country.

Yes, when you move to Spain and take up residency, the authorities do ask you to provide proof you have finanacial means to live on including health insurance or proof you have employment. 

The rules i was referring to have to was with old age pensions, when you hit 66.   In most if not all EU countries you pay into a social welfare system which will eventually give you your old age pension.  In Ireland, I have been paying into the system for 25 years but for some bizzare reason I (and 1000s of other Irish citizens) may not be eligible for an old age pension.  I have my accountant investigating.

According to EU rules (see below), if nothing else I will be able to apply for a means tested non contributory pensions (even though I have paid into the Irish system)  of about €100 per week when i hit 66.

hope that all makes sense.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct= … OiIfnh7p0k

@SimCityAT I need someone to look into my Vida Laboral and assess my entitlement to a Spanish pension. I believe I have reached the minimum level for a contributory pension but would appreciate the advice of someone who has experience of dealing with the INSS. I have been quoted absurd sums by agencies in Madrid ( 300-400€ ) but understandably have no intention of giving money away for free. Any help appreciated.

@obrienrory

This thread is a bit old, I'd suggest you create a new topic, just for your particular request/question.

Our members @SimCityAT and @Johncar are extremely knowledgeable about a wide variety of issues in Spain... so perhaps you can send one (or both) of them a private message seeking guidance?

Many countries now have online access for checking your pension contributions. Does Spain too?

I think you may need a lot of years of contributions in Spain to claim a pension. Maybe 15 or so to get anything, and maybe 35 or so for a full pension. This depends on how long you worked in Spain, and whether you transferred your previous contributions elsewhere in the EU or simply started from scratch.

If you worked in Ireland (or UK) before, maybe you also have a pension entitlement there? (And you might still be able to make additional voluntary contributions to top it up.)

Thanks for your reply. In fact, it's not that difficult to find out if one is entitled to a Spanish pension or not. In my case I speak the language, know which offices to go to and have exceeded the 15 year requirement for the contributory pension. I just don't want any complications when I apply for it, that's all. ( You know what this country's like) i.e, I want all the ducks in a row and preferably handled by a competent gestor when I apply. I've been quoted 400€ from one in Madrid; needless to say I'm not ready to be extorted quite yet.