Going out in Hiroshima

Hi there,

Which are your 10 favorite places to go out in Hiroshima?

Which places would you recommend to newcomers? (restaurants, pubs, discos, theaters, cinemas, concert halls...)

Thanks!

You might want to give the webpages gethiroshima.com (lots of good guides there) and wideislandview.com a look.  Both webpages are made for expats living and traveling in Hiroshima.

Oh, and if you're ever in Hiroshima look for the gethiroshima.com map (which you can find most anywhere).  It has listings of all the 'hot' spots downtown for eating and drinking.  Whenever I'm in town I always use it.

What about your preferred places in Hiroshima WideIslandView ? ;)

The tough part about Hiroshima (and all Japanese cities) is that there are plenty of really random and interesting places hidden down every alleyway and street.  The best places for a "young" crowd to go out and do things would be along the Hondori (covered walkway), specifically near the massive department store of Parko.  Both the Hondori and Parko are located a couple blocks away from the Peace Park, and can easily be gotten to by walking from Hiroshima Station or taking one of the numerous street cars.

So near Parko there are heaps of small bars and eateries.  Here are a few I like.

Ex-Pat hangouts:  The Shack and Molly Malones.  Bars with great food menus located across the street from Parko.

To the south of Parko, across a big big avenue is the @ Cafe, great for coffee or treats.  Hidden next to it is a great German place serving amazing food and drinks.  On the Parko side of avenue is a nice wine bar.  Get a dessert, they're amazing.  Though often its booked for weddings or parties.

Otherwise things between Parko and Hiroshima Station are interesting.  A lot of very small, and sometime sketchy, bars and party places.  Also quite a number of fine places to eat.  If you want to avoid the party crowd try walking along the river.  There are lots of small places all over, and in typical Japanese fashion most have menus outside for you to look at.

Hiroshima is a wonderful Japanese city and I miss spending time there.