Divorce or annulment whats the cost and how quick

Hi there everyone
would anybody know the cost of a divorce or annulment in the Philippins and how quick

As I understand the law over there from the threads here, extremely difficult, a long process and likely expensive.

Others will probably offer much more detail but I believe divorce is  illegal except in special circumstances.

About 300k PHP and 2 years Pete.

Guys there is new rules on annulment in Philippines, I am not sure on every thing and how it is working, but they say it cuts down the time and expense, which is good for most of guys here, this is only word of mouth, I am not looking of getting one my self, not yet haha,

@spanishpete you can't file a divorce in the Philippines but the Philippines courts will recognize a divorce filed abroad. So you file it in Spain and your ex wife will have it recognized by the judge in the Philippines. So it costs mostly like in Spain.

My girlfriend and her ex are philippinos so it all has to be done in the philippins

So the only way is annulment... be patient !

The bottom line it is not impossible to do, yes it takes some money and some time or lots of time, but face it at the end of it all. you are free, from the person you may or don't like to be with, any scarifies is worth it.

My fiancee is filipina and is presently going thru the annulment process, going on 3 years. It depends a lot on the attorney and which judge is assigned. Cost at the time was approximently 50K - 80K Php. I have heard of faster annulments, but finding the right attorney can be the biggest task, along with the process taking so long. Be cautious when dealing with others that recommend attorneys, especially if they are still going thru one...
Good luck!

Tony

Based upon my experience, the cost for an annulment ranges around the P200K mark. There is no divorce in the Philippines. I would place a timeline of 1 year; maybe a bit less or more depending upon your circumstances.

However, the government recently enacted a new law related speeding up the process if I am correct. You can search for the update online.

There are a few hoops to jump depending on the reason for the annulment. You may both have to perform some sort evaluation and counseling, as well will have to attend court hearings. Notably they take marriage and family matters very seriously in the legal sense. Also keep in mind the courts tend to lean more to side with the Filipina. Hope that helps you a bit.

Also, by law a Philippine court does not accept or recognize a divorce or annulment from another country. Maybe in the province with "special fees" involved; but highly unlikely. A Philippines annulment still has to be processed in country. If you reside outside the Philippines, an annulment can still be performed in your absence. My cost estimate of P200K would be in Manila.

@Tvanzandt is correct regarding finding the right attorney.

I checked with my fiancee and I was mistaken on the cost, probably since we made payments on it.. it was P180K and it is still not complete. Bad attorney and a lazy judge.

@Tvanzandt - I assume you are processing though a Bohol court? Looking at "provincial government speed" :) Judge would work 2 or 3 days per week when not sleeping or watching cockfights. Good luck with the completion.

No actually she is going thru a lawyer in the manila area. The attorney told her that she would file in a court that had a fast turn-out, but it turns out its one of the slowest. And the lawyer doesn't earn the money she was paid. Wont even call my lady. Wants her to come to Manila all the time to talk in her office, but in the past, when she did go, the lawyer was "out".. The friend that told my lady about this lawyer ended up going to another lawyer for him to speed up the process since this one wasnt doing anything.

I think you guys forgot about Filipino time ??? if you make appointment means you come on time but they will be late few hours, or more, or worse never come to meeting. this is so so comman here, it is culture of theirs..

Yep, Filipino time :) A given; not necessarily rule of thumb, but certainly common.

Roger that on your fees for your Manila Atty. Makes sense being close to what I paid.

FYI for others -  once the court renders a decision, it still has to be filed and registered with the NSO and other Local Civil Registry offices. This is typically "not included" in the legal fees as some do it on their own. An atty can get it all done at additional cost.

Thanks for that info, we weren't aware of that, thought it was part of the process and cost...I'll look into it. Thanks!!

Hi there, thanks for the info, iam looking at trying to get it done in one year, and paying more Money, but at the moment still trying to get a lawyer to talk to me, god there a bunch of wasteers,

Not easy to find an attorney as there appears to be no set industry fee. Quotes were from P150K up P500K. But as previously posted, I believe some recent law has (or will be) enacted to speed up and reduce cost of process an annulment.

I feel I was lucky to have come across the attorney I used. She outlined the pros vs cons of choosing the correct legal reason to ensure a successful process. One year was a decent timeline, but it could have been achieved quicker if we wanted; was not in a rush. No "add on fees" apart from what was quoted.

Hi,
Can you please refer me to the lawyer you are using?? Mine is a bit corrupt i think. Thanks
David

Hi
Can u tell me the attorneys you used? Im about to start thi with my girl in the Philippines

Thanks david

My fiancée is getting an annulment, there is no divorce.  We paid 125,000 pesos down and are paying 10,000 pesos a month for 10 months.  She got a deal because the lawyer is a friend, otherwise, it would have been the 300,000 pesos that various other sources have quoted.  It will take at least a year.  Each trip to court is an additional 5,000 pesos, and there will probably be at least 5 trips to the court in Manila.

You had better be committed.  On the other hand, you'll have plenty of time to make sure you want to get married. :)

bizwizard

280000 p 18 - 24 months...

Sparky4104 wrote:

Hi
Can u tell me the attorneys you used? Im about to start thi with my girl in the Philippines

Thanks david

Will PM you the info, David.

Avoid marriage. In every country. Divorcing is giving goverments and lawyers the right to turn ur life into hell. Ur position is stronger here, more strong than the filipina position. Living together is also possible without a stupid paper. Marry coz of the family? If u take care of ur fikipina without marrying, the family understands in time. Why make ur position weaker? maybe there are some disadvantages by not marrying, but the advantages and peace in mind are bigger. Coz of the religion? A company like catholic church will bless my life? no way. Dont get fooled by her cute body, take care of ur beloved ones, but think with ur brains, not with ur...

There is a bill going thru the Congress to make annulment easer and less expensive we will see if it becomes law

Just be sure that if/when the annulment is finalised that the lady is not going to say thanks very much and walk away from you as a newly single lady!

A check on the Internet “Google” to see the background of any Lawyer is a must to start with, as there are many people that even if they are Lawyers, ( and some are not) it doesn't mean that they have any success in dealing with the procedure that you need

My fiancé wants an annulment and went to the local Town hall that provide a lawyer. The Lawyer said P350, 000 would cover all the cost, with full payment in advance, and the timescale for the completion would be 18 to 24 months. Her friend gave her the name of another Lawyer and that one said P250, 000 to complete all proceedings and possibly 8 months to 1 year to complete with the court, a discount was given due to the recommendation of the family friend a 50% down payment to start proceedings and 3 equal stage payments due at 2 month intervals with the third final payment of due on the day of court result/decision.

I hope that helps you

Hi sir. Could you please tell me the attorney that you used. I am trying to get an annulment from one filipina because we have never even lived together as husband and wife. She lives in Europe with her new family. Thank you

Hi Chuckieparson
I can only recommend when I know the final outcome! However I believe that this man has the full intention and experience to do the job. Please read on.
I wish you to understand that I am in the early stages of the annulment process that only started this February 2018. I do not have any reason to believe the Lawyer that we have, is not acting in a correct manner.
My fiancé has already attended the first interview with a Psychologist, as a psychological study that she is required to do for the court assessment of the annulment is part of the process, and she is now doing an on line questionnaire program with the Psychologist.
I f you should you wish I can give my personal email, I can then send you the lawyers email he has an office in Imus Cavite
He has the use of other locations to meet and assist in working with his clients.

The legal side is one thing but the other is the payment to the husband who can ask for whatever he wants ... from an expat u can expect a large amount before he will sign the papers.                                                                                                                                                    We met a Chinese chap who's Filipino  fiance from Tagaytay helped him set an internet cafe in Lemery then after a celebratory evening disappeared with all the computer gear with her REAL Filipino boyfriend leaving the poor Chinese chap with nothing not even his clothes and wrist watch.

Deleted

Lachmcc wrote:

Also, by law a Philippine court does not accept or recognize a divorce or annulment from another country. Maybe in the province with "special fees" involved; but highly unlikely. A Philippines annulment still has to be processed in country. If you reside outside the Philippines, an annulment can still be performed in your absence. My cost estimate of P200K would be in Manila.

@Tvanzandt is correct regarding finding the right attorney.

This is only true if both parties are Filipinos. If one party is a foreigner the local courts will accept the foreign divorce decree from the Filipino or Filipina.

philipperv: I am a foreigner and my Filipina wife remarried in the EU and successfully filed a divorce there. The foreign divorce document was not recognized nor accepted by the Quezon City court we dealt with. We still had to complete the PH annulment process or our dissolution to be legally recognized in the PH.

Maybe things have changed over the past year?

Nothing has changed but the double-standard is that the Philippine courts will accept the EU divorce for you but not for your ex-wife. You can freely get married again in the Philippines if you wish but your Filipina ex-wife must still go through the divorce recognition process in the Philippines for her EU marriage to be dissolved. Who was the party that filed the EU divorce? If it was her then the Philippine courts won't even recognize it.

http://www.positivelyfilipino.com/magaz … ien-spouse

Wrong I don't know about other foreigners but Americans can obtain a divorce in Guam that is legal in the Philippines ,you start the paperwork in the Philippines and when ready you go to Guam for 7 day requirement at the end you are divorced and free to marry again in the Philippines I know a American here in Davao that has been married and divorced from Filipinas four times

philipperv wrote:

Nothing has changed but the double-standard is that the Philippine courts will accept the EU divorce for you but not for your ex-wife. You can freely get married again in the Philippines if you wish but your Filipina ex-wife must still go through the divorce recognition process in the Philippines for her EU marriage to be dissolved. Who was the party that filed the EU divorce? If it was her then the Philippine courts won't even recognize it.

http://www.positivelyfilipino.com/magaz … ien-spouse

Okay got it and makes sense. I did not file anything for the annulment in PH nor any foreign divorce from my side. My ex filed both the PH annulment and EU divorce. All is good as PH annulment concluded last year. Thanks for the input....cheers!

You are welcome. She spent a pretty sum getting the annulment done the traditional way as costs can exceed P300,000 in some cases and the process takes an average of 2 years. There currently is a bill pending that will simplify the process.

Yeah not cheap. We spend about 200k taking just around one year. Won't consider marrying again until I see that proposed simplified process tested. :)

Nice of you to help her out.