Going out in Douala

Hi there,

Which are your 10 favorite places to go out in Douala?

Which places would you recommend to newcomers? (restaurants, pubs, discos, theaters, cinemas, concert halls...)

Thanks!

For night clubs, (my base is in Douala btw, so I speak for them who are looking for nice places in Douala)

I think L'Olympia has a good place and music.... Orange Metallic is not bad either.... Both places are known as where expats go out.

For dining, I think, le mediteranee is the best option so far, but there are a lot of good places to eat, such as the British Pub, Restaurant White House, Saga African....

And unfortunately, I haven't found any cinema or theatre in Douala... :-(

Depends what you are looking for, Le Senate is generally abetter bet for quality live music and the food is better.

If you speak arabic it helps there as well as Orange Mech I very much a Lebanese club. 

Also visit: Visa in Akwa. There are plenty of places, if you want to escape the expat racket any where in Rue De La joie

Also Aristocrats is good off Akwa  or Crystal where the old Blue Note was  if you want something a little less expensive Maximes in Dido

[Some part of your posts has been moderated]

why  not  try  some  new  places and  gain  brand  new  experiences, new feelings  and  fun.....not  only  gaining but also  giving  u  know  just  try  out  and tell  me.....ophanages,  schools,  churches,  markets,  stadiums,cabarets, trade fairs...bla  bla  bla!

There is a theatre in Akwa opposite side of the road to Glaciere Moderne and father along

nick roddy

You didn't mention which one. I remember when asked taxi driver to take me to the Rue de la joie, he asked me back which one and I ended up in Deido. There are 3 Rue De La Joie's, in Bonanjo, Deido and Bali.

As my small contribution to this topic.
There is also good place in Bonanjo, La Cigale, not far from L'Olympia. Live music, small bar and restaurant. It seemed to me a little bit expensive there.
La Paradise in Bonapriso, also not bad and you can find Opium nearby, if you prefer noisy place.

I ment the rue De La Joi in Dido. LeParadise and Olympia are pretty cliquy ex pat hang outs there are more restaurants and bars and clubs in Douala than just bout any where I have ever been, you jus need to get off the "expat" circuit, unfortunately because of the nature of the expat community in Douala ( mostly transient single males in the oil industry)  the places that cater for them engender a particular type of corruption. You will meet fear more interesting people off the expat trail, including real expats, who are long term and integrated as opposed to those maning the barricades Doula has a lot to offer but you need to explore

Opposite Opium there is a really good Thai restaurant

Restaurant:
Piccola Venizia (Italian, the best!)
Bombay Masala (indian with themed nights)
Peche Mignon (French, with themed nights)
Bistro Latin (French and Lebanese, with themed nights and live music)
Le Boj: European, with a big lounge downstairs for drinks, nice ambiance
Mai Thai: Thai, excellent.

Nightlife:
senat: live music, cool place
Orange Metallic and Olympia for dancing
Cigale for live music
Paradise; the spot where expats hang out past 11 pm for drinks.  The indoor pub is small and gets crowded, but that's where people go.
Bombay Blue Lounge: they recently opened this lounge on top of Bombay Masala.  well decorated, nice place to hang out for drinks.

My husband prefers going to Brasilia or Coupole for drinks since there are no hores to harrass him.

Day:
Comptoir colonial (nice terrace by the water)
Aquarius (hard to locate but the best terrace by the water in town and good food)
Club St-Georges for horse back riding and a playground for the kids.

Akwa Palace: nice terrace for drinks.

Just wanted to say awesome input. I'm a HUGE fan of Indian food and Bombay Masala is kinda round the corner from where I live!! Will most def check it out after I get over my jetlag...thanks guys!

There are many resataurants in Douala, each of them special or different in one way or the other.Some are bigs luxurious and expensive, while others are not too spacious with moderate prices.I think it's left for you to discover each and every one of them and then you can say for yourself which is the best.Here are some i have already visited, i think they are good;

L'Ovalie,Le Senat,Le Boj,Bombay Masala,le dernier comptoir colonial,Restaurant Aquarius Marina 2000,Le Sorento,Foyer des Marins