Family Reunification

Hi All,

I am an EU Dutch citizen living in the Netherlands at this moment, but planning to move in 2019 to Portugal and live there together with my Brazilian partner (registered union). At this moment my Brazilian partner still lives in Brazil doing his master, it will be finished in February 2019.

I have some questions about family reunification in Portugal, I already searched the forum and also looked for  information on the internet, but till now I couldn't find a solid answer.

Questions:
1. When I apply for family reunification I have to proof I can maintain my partner, Can anybody tell me what the requirements are? What should be my income per month? How long should I be employed? What sort of contract I need, etc?
2. Can my partner live in Portugal when applying for family reunification?
3. How long will the procedure take in months?

With kind regards,

Jurj3n

It's all on the SEF website.

http://www.sef.pt/portal/V10/EN/aspx/ap … 51#CReg_EN

Can you give me the link for the non EU as I am Egyptian and my case is a little bit complicated as I have an adoptive son but under the Egyptian rules which is a fostering family contract but which means an adoption without giving your name

Hi Gailatlarge,

Thank you for this link, I already found this information, still it is unclear what "Sufficient resources" means. How much? Where is this stated, where can I find this information? In the Legislation it is stated:

'Enough resources' means a citizen's resources that are not below the level of income below which the Portuguese State can grant social rights and support to national citizens, taking into account the personal situation of the citizen and, where appropriate, that of his family members.

Unclear what " enough resources" are.

With kind regards,

Jurjen

Dina:

You need to visit the Imigrante.pt website for visa information. It's in English as well:

http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/Default.aspx

Under 'DOCUMENTS REQUIRED', applying for a resident's permit:

http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/ConcessaoAR.aspx

There's another category for 'Special Situations':

http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/Concess … ciais.aspx

The reference for subsistence funds for third-country nationals when applying for a Temporary Residence Permit, according to the SEF website:

1) Sufficient income level is set at 40 euros per day (plus 75 euros per entry):
http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/Documen … t77N1.aspx

"Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, of 11/12”
http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/Legisla … 3_2007.pdf

Ref:

"3 — Para a entrada e permanência de cidadão estrangeiro titular de visto de trânsito, de curta duração ou admitido sem exigência de visto nos termos de convenções internacionais de que Portugal seja parte ao abrigo do disposto no artigo 11.º da Lei n.º 23/2007, de 4 de Julho, deve o mesmo deter ou estar em condições de adquirir legalmente, em meios de pagamento, per capita, o equivalente a 75 € por cada entrada, acrescido de 40 € por cada dia de permanência.”

That law is now 10 years old, but it hasn't yet been officially updated so be ready to quote it if you run into questions as to where the information came from.

What SEF is stating is that your income levels must be such that your partner (or you) will not need any sort of financial assistance (welfare) from the state. Thus, whatever documentation you can submit in the way of bank statements, letters of employment, tax returns, just be prepared to show that you can support yourself AND your partner, because he can't work until his residency is granted. Minimum wage in Portugal is €649.83/month (€557 x 14 payments), so view that as the absolute minimum income (x 2 people) that you would show SEF.

Regarding a timeline, the appointments at SEF are more than 6 months in advance these days. It's imperative that you make an appointment for him as soon as you've finalized your plans so that he can get the residency permit and work. He can be in Portugal with you, but until the appointment plus about a month (or more) of waiting for the permit, he can't work.

Internal numbers (calling from Portugal) are on the homepage: http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/Default.aspx

Calling from outside of Portugal: http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/LigacoesUteis.aspx

Hi Gailatlarge,

Thank you for the extra information.

I find it very difficult to get the right information, because the links still don't give a solid answer, still I think that I found information that is giving me a better understanding.

When reading the (English) information via the link: http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/Default.aspx

There is a passage that states:
Documentary evidence of adequate subsistence means for the applicant and for the family, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, of 11/12 (not applicable to refugees)

Following this link I get a PDF document in Portuguese, after translating I found a passage saying:

O critério de determinação dos meios de subsistência é efectuado por referência à retribuição mínima mensal garantida nos termos do n.º 1 do artigo 266.º do Código do Trabalho, adiante designada por RMMG, atenta a respectiva natureza e regularidade, líquida de quotizações para a segurança social com a seguinte valoração per capita em cada agregado familiar:
a) Primeiro adulto 100 %;
b) Segundo ou mais adultos 50 %;
c) Crianças e jovens com idade inferior a 18 anos e
filhos maiores a cargo 30 %.

I looked for the  n.º 1 do artigo 266.º do Código do Trabalho, adiante designada por RMMG and I found out that this is a code stating what the minimum wage is that is stated by the government yearly. Via the website https://www.portaldahabitacao.pt/pt/por … /rmmg.html I found the amount for 2018, namely 580 EURO.

With the criteria stated in the previous criteria I could calculate that the minimum income should be:
First Adult = 100% = 580 EURO
Second Adult = 50% = 290 EURO
Total income/enough resource = 870 Euro

In the same document is also stated that the income should be proven via a contract that has a minimum length of 12 months.

Article 9 Family Reunion
A foreign citizen who requires family reunification must have means of subsistence determined in accordance with the provisions of Article 2 (1) and (2), which shall be guaranteed for a period of not less than 12 months.

Artigo 9.º Reagrupamento familiar
O cidadão estrangeiro que requeira o reagrupamento familiar deve dispor, no seu agregado familiar, de meios de subsistência determinados nos termos do disposto nos n.os 1 e 2 do artigo 2.º, assegurados por período não inferior a 12 meses.

Conclusion:
When I want to have my partner come to Portugal, I have to have a minimum income of 870 EURO and proof that I will have this income for a minimum time of 12 months.

It would be helpful if you can say If I am making the right assumption based on the given information.

One more thing, in the same document it is also stated:

Article 5 Residence Visa
6 - Notwithstanding the provisions of the preceding paragraphs, foreign citizens applying for a residence visa must have means of subsistence determined in accordance with the provisions of paragraphs 1 and 2 of article 2, and must be insured for a period of not less than 12 months , to be verified by the following means:
a) In the case of a retired foreign citizen, by means of a document proving their income, as well as guaranteeing their receipt or availability of other income in national territory;
b) In the case of foreign citizens who live on income from movable or immovable property, intellectual property or financial investments, by means of a document proving the existence and amount of such income, as well as their availability in Portugal.

Artigo 5.º Visto de residência
6 — Sem prejuízo do disposto nos números anteriores, o cidadão estrangeiro requerente de visto de residência deve dispor de meios de subsistência determinados nos termos do disposto nos n.os 1 e 2 do artigo 2.º, assegurados por período não inferior a 12 meses, a comprovar pelos seguintes meios:
a) No caso de cidadão estrangeiro reformado, através de documento comprovativo do respectivo rendimento, bem como da garantia do seu recebimento ou disponibilidade de outros rendimentos em território nacional;
b) No caso de cidadão estrangeiro que viva de rendimentos de bens móveis ou imóveis, da propriedade intelectual ou de aplicações financeiras, através de documento comprovativo da existência e montante de tais rendimentos, bem como da sua disponibilidade em Portugal.

For me is Article 5, paragraph 6, b applicable, because I have an income via renting out property. This income is higher then the calculated 870 EURO, so my question is if this income will also be accepted:
For me as an income for a permanent certificate and for my partner for permanent residency/visa.

With kind regards,

Jurjen

Hi Jurjen,

I just realized that the links we're providing are flagging the forum system (they don't want advertising so I think all links get flagged for review)... so from just reading what you've quoted from the law articles, I would first of all agree that your rental property income counts as income. Secondly, as long as your base income exceeds that minimum wage amount requirement, I think you'll be fine but be prepared with as much documentation as possible -- the standard for SEF requests is 3 months of bank statements and if it's a joint account with both your names, even better. The name(s) should be on each page of the statement if there's more than one page.

Another note: Brazilians can apply for a special status after residency is obtained in Portugal which puts them on equal status with Portuguese including voting rights after habitual residence of three years (ordinarily they'd have to apply for citizenship to get those rights). As a spouse, citizenship is eligible after three years of residency and everyone else after six years. On the short-term this may not matter but something to consider if short-term residency turns into longer-term. You can read about it here:

http://www.sef.pt/portal/v10/PT/aspx/le … ion=4137#0http://www.sef.pt/portal/v10/PT/aspx/le … nha=4656#0

Artigo 12.º
Os portugueses no Brasil e os brasileiros em Portugal, beneficiários do estatuto de igualdade, gozarão dos mesmos direitos e estarão sujeitos aos mesmos deveres dos nacionais desses Estados, nos termos e condições dos artigos seguintes.

http://www.sef.pt/portal/v10/PT/aspx/le … nha=4475#0

Artigo 5.º

Requisitos

O estatuto de igualdade é concedido aos cidadãos brasileiros civilmente capazes, de acordo com a sua lei nacional, que tenham residência habitual em território português, comprovada através de autorização de residência.
Para além dos requisitos enunciados no número anterior, o gozo de direitos políticos apenas pode ser reconhecido aos requerentes com residência habitual em território nacional há, pelo menos, três anos.
A igualdade quanto aos direitos políticos não pode ser reconhecida aos requerentes que se encontrem privados de idênticos direitos no Brasil.

Dando continuidade ao processo de ir pra Portugal nos deparamos com o seguinte cenário:

Portugal é membro da UE e eu como cidadão Holandês, posso me  registrar residência em Portugal e seguir os seguintes requerimentos:

CERTIFICADO DE REGISTO PARA CIDADÃO DA UE/EEE/SUÍÇA :

Feito na Câmara Municipal da área de residência e precisa comprovar renda - mínimo de 580 euros de acordo com a Lei n.o1 do artigo 266 do Código do Trabalho (RMMG)
Moradia (endereço).
Esse registro me permite trabalhar e morar em Portugal.

Perguntas:
No site do SEF está especificado: No prazo de 30 dias após decorridos três meses da entrada no território nacional. PERGUNTA: É possível se registrar imediatamente?
Sobre a comprovação de renda, via o website [link under review] … /rmmg.html  eu encontrei a quantidade para 2018 que é nominalmente mínimo  de 580 euros. PERGUNTA:  Isto está correto?
No site do SEF está especificado:  Declaração, sob compromisso de honra, de que exerce uma atividade profissional subordinada ou independente em Portugal OU Declaração, sob compromisso de honra, de que dispõe de recursos suficientes para si próprio e para os seus familiares, bem como um seguro de saúde, desde que tal seja exigido no Estado-Membro da sua nacionalidade aos cidadãos portugueses. PERGUNTA: Rendimento de aluguel é considerado comprovação de renda?
Em que idioma os documentos devem estar escritos? Em Português, Inglês ou Francês?

Nós temos uma união estável e gostaríamos de solicitar residência de cônjuge através do Reagrupamento Familiar

CARTÃO DE RESIDÊNCIA  PARA CIDADÃO DE ESTADO TERCEIRO  FAMILIAR DE NACIONAL DA UE/EEE/SUÍÇA

Familiar de cidadão da União Europeia, Islândia, Liechtenstein, Noruega, do Principado de Andorra e Suíça nacional de Estado terceiro: Cônjuge.
Documento de identificação do cidadão que acompanhem ou ao qual se reúnam (Certificado de Registo, Cartão de Residência ou Bilhete de Identidade);
Prova de familiares a cargo (quando aplicável); Se forem casados: Certidão de narrativa completa de nascimento ou assento de casamento; Se estiverem em união de facto: Certidões de nascimento de ambos e documento comprovativo da vida em comum há pelo menos 2 anos.

Perguntas:
União estável é o mesmo que casamento?
No prazo de 30 dias após decorridos três meses da entrada no território nacional, mediante agendamento prévio. PERGUNTA: É possível se registrar imediatamente?
Sobre a comprovação de renda, via o website https://www.portaldahabitacao.pt/pt/por … /rmmg.html  encontramos a quantidade para 2018 que é nominalmente mínimo de 580 euros. Como meu parceiro vai viver assegurado pela minha renda, seguindo a informação encontrada na Lei n.o1 do artigo 266 do Código do Trabalho (RMMG) temos que adicionar 50% do salário mínimo para a o mínimo da minha renda. Isso quer dizer: 580 + 290 = 870 euros. PERGUNTA:  Isto está correto?
Como os prazos de marcação variam entre 3-6 meses É possível solicitar reagrupamento familiar em outra cidade que não seja a que residimos?
Meu parceiro pode ficar em Portugal durante o período de solicitação de residência via reagrupamento familiar com o visto de turista?

Gailatlarge
Thanks for your information but I have a special case if you have information about it would really help
I am planning to apply for Golden Visa for myself and I would like to put my adoptive son under the family reunification program but I heard that not every paper of adoption would be accepted as the Egyptian one is following the Sharia (the Islamic rule) so the birth certificate of the child doesn't have our name, he can just have the last family name on his birth certificate, the contract is not an adoption contract but a fostering family contract but this is what we consider adoption in Egypt and I heard that the SEF doesn't concidre this as an adoption so they will not accept to add my son, do you have any idea about this?
I am struggling to find a way to move to Portugal with him.
Thanks

@jurj3n

As this is an Anglophone forum could you please post in ENGLISH only so that others can underpants your post.
If you wish to post in another language click on the flag symbol top right corner of this page and select from the drop down box.

Jurjen,

De facto (common law) is treated the same as marriage, but you have to prove you've been living together in the same house for at least two years. It says here (see #7) that they will need both your birth certificates:

http://www.sef.pt/portal/V10/PT/aspx/ap … Linha=4641

Rental income is income. You need to prove any income, no matter where it comes from. To get the certificate of registration as EU it's an oath, but for SEF you have to show documents for income.

Everything for the SEF appointment is based on your address. You need a place to live to establish residency and get the certificate from City Hall or the junta de freguesia (parish). But if you try to see SEF in another town and your residency isn't at that town, they will probably send you away.

Lisbon and Porto have the longest wait times for appointments. Some places don't require appointments: Açores, Bragança, Figueira da Foz, Guarda, Madeira, Vila Real. See here for the list of SEF offices:

http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/IrAoSEF.aspx

Dina,

See this page on the SEF website under Notes, 1c.

http://www.imigrante.pt/PagesEN/Documen … t98N1.aspx

"Minors adopted by an unmarried applicant, by a married applicant or by the spouse, following decision taken by the relevant authority of the Country of origin, provided that legal framework incorporates the same rights and duties of natural affiliation and provided that decision is acknowledged by Portugal."

I'm going to assume you will retain the services of a lawyer for the Golden Visa. If I were you, I would consult with that lawyer as to the recognition of the documents for your son in Portugal as equal to adoption (without conditions). I'm under the impression that him having a different name is going to be a problem.

Another thing you can try is to visit the Embassy of Portugal closest to you, present them with the documents you have and ask them if those documents are recognized as equal to adoption in Portugal.

Hi Gailatlarge,

Thanks again for your extensive answers and input. Especially the input you gave about the special status after residency for Brazilians is very interesting and good to know. Do you know what this means for the nationality of my partner? Can he have 2 nationalities (Brazilian and Portuguese)?

I know that in the Netherlands this is not possible, so when I apply for Portuguese citizenship I have to give up the Dutch one.

I am also curious about your background, you know a lot about the immigration laws. Are you working for the SEF or government? Or is your profession more legal based? I am asking this, because I want to check if I need legal advice by a professional to be really sure if I and my spouse can get residency in Portugal in the way I described. That's why I posted the whole proces and questions in Portuguese for communicating with a lawyer or the SEF.

I was also searching for job opportunities for expats, you know any websites that provides this? This side has a job section, but the amount of offers is very limited.

Again, I am really happy with your input and advice, thank you very much for your effort and patience :-) When I will come to Portugal and we are close I will definitely treat you for some drinks.

With kind regards,

Jurjen

Hi Jurj3n,

Your Brazilian partner -- by law -- cannot take on another nationality, but until recently Brazilians have not had their citizenship revoked after taking a second nationality. This article from April 2017 explains further:

http://gazetanews.com/brasileiro-pode-p … utro-pais/

Brazilian nationality law is probably why Portugal introduced this special status that I described before -- it allows them rights without requiring naturalization, essentially allowing for them to have the same rights as Portuguese citizens while keeping their Brazilian citizenship. There are two exceptions to the policy, which are mentioned in the article above.

My background is not in law but in a very regulated industry (finance) which has strict compliance. I have no plans to enter law, but I've spent the past 2.5 years volunteering in a SEF facility in Portugal (migrant detention centre) on the humanitarian side (not the legal side). I see detainees from all over the world there, many in desperate situations but also victims of false information or a lack of information.

I'm there as a volunteer to help everyone, regardless of background. I'm also an immigrant to Portugal, I'm under the same law as every third-country national (non-EU). But I'm originally an immigrant to Canada, and faced immigration in 3 other countries (USA, Australia, UK). So I have a lot of personal immigration experience, and my goal is to help people stay on the side of the law, always. Believe me: a detention centre is a place to avoid!

I write here for the same reason: to reference the law (which is constantly changing) and keep people out of the detention centre. People need to understand what they're facing when they immigrate, and I know that not everyone can afford a lawyer. The law is difficult to parse, so that's where I try to help.

This is a commercial forum and it's probably not kosher to post links that compete with this website, but I've put a lot of information about living in Portugal on my website, which you can find easily via my profile.

All the best!

Hi Gail,

Now I know your blog name I understand your profile name better :-)

I have browsed your blog and it is a lot of information and nice photographs!

Thank you again for your help and knowledge.

With kind regards,

Jurjen