Relocating to Portugal

Hello everyone!

My name is Ashley Dean and I live in the USA.  I have been dreaming of living/working abroad for many years and have decided now is the right time.  I am a certified K-6 grade teacher and have been teaching for the past 10 years in 2nd and 3rd grade.  I am looking for a job in Portugal and have hopes of moving this summer. I would love to connect with others who already live there or are planning to do so!

:) Ashley Dean

Hi Ashley
I am also planning to move to Lisbon in living in london for last 15 years hope will catch up I'm on what's app****
Thank you
IMran

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Organised Choas wrote:

Hi Ashley
I am also planning to move to Lisbon in living in london for last 15 years hope will catch up I'm on what's app *************.
Thank you
IMran

For your own safety please don't post personal details on the open Forum.

Hi Ashley,
My name is Jean-Paul (JP). I am French and have been living in Portugal under the NHR status (Non Habitual Resident) since October 2017. I am not sure whether you can benefit from that status or not, since I guess it is for Europeans.
If as an American you wish to move to Portugal and work here, I think the best way would be to contact the Portuguese Embassy in DC or any general consulate in the US.
There may be needs here for English/American teachers. However, the general trend would be for other languages because British tend to leave the country because of the Brexit. There are currently a lot of French moving to Portugal beacause of the tax advantages.
But, like in any country around the world, English remains the universal language.
An important point: there is a lot of bureaucracy in Portugal; be prepared. I used a very efficient lawyer speaking English and French despite the fact that I also speak resonable Portuguese having lived in Brazil.
Don't hesitate to contact me should you have questions or concerns. I am used to communicate with Americans since I lived 21 years in your country where I will spend 2 weeks in May to see my numerous friends.
Best / JP ***

Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you

Hi Ashley and everyone...

My name is Michael. My partner Francesca and I are also looking to move from the USA to Portugal as well. We currently live a small town lifestyle on an island outside of Seattle, although I grew up in New York so am accustomed to both worlds. We are both practicing Photographers and Artists. I owned a successful portriat studio here in Seattle for 30 years.  We both hope to set up our art studios in Portugal. We will be coming to Portugal, arriving March 8th and visiting for five weeks. We will be exploring Lisbon, Cintra, Coimbra, Evora and Tavira and of course the surrounding areas. Would love to get any advice anyone can offer in regards to what to do and explore in these areas, not as a tourist but as a prospective expat. I've heard some people say it wasn't that difficult getting a bank account and fiscal numbers even before moving there. Any recommendations as to the best place to go to get numbers? Also, any recommendations about whether to use a lawyer or not and if so, names of competent lawyers who speak English. I'm working on my Portuguese, but am not there yet. We would also be looking for a long-term rental probably outside of Lisbon or Coimbra. Any advice, suggestions, directions there too, would be greatly appreciated. And finally, if anyone would be willing to join us for coffee in any of the towns we will be visiting we would be truly delighted to meet you.

Hi Michael,
A few recommendations as I did for Ashley. Moving to Lisbon or surroundings (Cintra, Cascais), Coimbra or Porto would be OK for a professional like you. But I would not move to smaller towns like Evora or Tavira because they are kind of "isolated". If Lisbon or Porto is not your choice, I would recommend the golden triangle in Algarve, namely the area between Loulé, Quarteira, Faro that also include Vale de Lobo and Quinta do Lago. Loulé and Faro are of resonable size and Faro got an airport. Besides and although these towns are not so big, there is a good population concentration. A lot of international residents (British, French, German, Swedes, Dutch, etc.) who have money. Infrastructure is excellent and I don't even talk about the weather. In addition, almost everyone speaks a reasonable English and sometimes French here. Portuguese language is difficult. But keep learning Portuguese and not Brazilian. The accent difference is huge. (believe my experience)
It is not difficult to get a bank account and a fiscal number; but as an American who want to become a resident I highly recommend a lawyer. (even for a european like me).
If you are serious about Algarve, I can recommend my lawyer (need to talk to her before)
Good luck!
JP Burtin ***)

Note: My wife and I would love to have American friends; we lived 21 years in the US

Hi Jean Paul
I am Egyptian, I speak both English and French (with a better french) and I plan to move in the coming months to Portugal with my 4 years son. ( I am not very young but I had my son very late).
Well, I do not have problems in moving as I made all the studies for this and at the end hired a lawyer for the paper of the residency Visa as we do not have the same papers coming from outside the EU.
My issue is the school for my son.
I haven't decided yet where to live, Lisbon or Porto as my decision will be upon the school that will accept my son.
I am looking for a school where there is a teaching of languages as I believe that language is the future if you are not a scientific person and I see my son as an artist more than a scientific person.
I don't know which schools are good at teaching more than English and Portuguese as I will not be able to continue speaking to him in a third language at home as I will have to keep the Arabic as a home language.
Do you have any advice about schools?
I have been working as a publisher and bookseller all my life do you think without Portuguese until I learn it can I find a job? Earlier I was in the tourism field.
Thanks for all the information you are sharing.
Dina

Hi Dina,
I am sorry but cannot give you any advice regarding schools because:
-I am a retired person
-I never had children
Regarding a job in Portugal, I think it would be much better to speak a minimum of Portuguese. But the best chances for you would be in the tourism area.
Good luck
JP

Thanks Jean Paul