Universal vs. Humana on North shore

Hi Everyone,

I just wonder if Humana is well accepted by medical/dental providers on the North shore, the same as Universal? Thank you for your feedback.
Marat

We have had Universal for the last 12 years and never a problem on the  north coast or in Santiago at HOMS.

Bob K

Bob - I am correct in that age 65 is the limit for getting coverage - unless you have been with them....

That is correct but they will write you over 65 but very $$$$$$
You might check with Kulig insurance agency behind the orange store in Sosua upstairs in the Colonial mall.  They will have all the options with all companies that may apply to you

Bob K

OK thanks - I will check out all options.Thanks Bob

You  are welcome.

Bob K

Does anyone know of any US expats who have DR insurance INSTEAD of US insurance?  I'm seriously considering having regular check ups, dental, etc. in DR when we leave our current position rather than buying private insurance.

Brodie I am not sure I understand your question.  The insurances we are talking about (Universal, Humano) are local DR insurances.  Many expats have one of these (we use Universal) for our medical needs here in the DR.

Bob K

I'm wondering for US expats, do they have medical insurance in both countries??? The price difference is astronomical...

Most who live here full time have the local insurance unless covered by their home insurance.
We tend to travel a lot and our DR insurance only covers us in the DR so we do also carry an international insurance.  This used to be relatively cheap but has gotten more expensive over the years.  My wife still has this policy I however am now using Medicare for US coverage and it also with my supplement covers me for 90 days at a time out of the US.

Bob K