Marriage and italian visas

I am a US citizen intending to marry in USA to an Italian citizen and live part time in Italy. What kind of visa process do I need to go through.  We want to live both in Italy and USA and want to allow travel back and forth freely without new visa every time.

Good luck...the Italian bureaucracy is unfathomable.  They do their very BEST ...to make it impossible.

A friend of my sons came to Italy on a visitor's visa (in order to marry here). The marriage date, however. was after his visa expired. No problem, the questura said.
So, they do help.

Janingal wrote:

A friend of my sons came to Italy on a visitor's visa (in order to marry here). The marriage date, however. was after his visa expired. No problem, the questura said.
So, they do help.

Fortunately your experience was positive...but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Well, we had another good experience: My stepson (adult) was given a PdS without any problem. Had it been in Germany: No way!!!
Saluti
Janin

Well..I have a question...what is your country of origin....?  I mean is it the US or Canada?

Germany (as seen in my profile...).
But my wife and my stepson have non-EU passports.
Janin