Traffic in Trinidad and Tobago

Hello everyone,

Which city or area do you live in in Trinidad and Tobago, and how do you find the traffic?

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Trinidad and Tobago?

What is parking availability and cost like?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla

I live on the North Coast and it takes me about 35/45 minutes to get into Port of Spain (Savannah side). An hour to downtown Port of Spain.

Fortunately I am self employed which makes it easier to make my own schedule. Rush hours in most cities would be between 1.30 to 2.30/3pm which is when school gets out so people are either on the road going for their children or parked up waiting.

Thereafter the next slot would be from 4pm when people are going home from work. Also certain days of the week like a Friday or anytime close to month end the roads are busy as everyone is doing their banking mostly and grocery shopping.

To avoid traffic I would set up automatic payments of bills when and where I can and/or choose hours that are quieter to do business or errands like early morning at least from 9am to 1pm. But you can never tell when there will be heavy traffic which can also be due to road works/repairs. Traffic is unavoidable in Trinidad. Too many cars are allowed on the roads.

I have mostly found that parking lots tend to be more available in downtown Port of Spain and the price just recently went up from $7.00 an hour or any part thereof to $10.00.

Hope this helps
Djaguarwoman