Close

Am I eligible for the 30% ruling after working for a year in NL?

Can I eligable 30% rulling after 1 year working in Netherlands?

One of a company in Netherlands will hire me for 12 months.
Although I am eligable to 30% ruling now (32 years old engineer), my contract doesn't let me to use this benefit. Although I will be a highly skilled migrant, I can not use this benefit for first year.

The recruiter company said that I can have the 30% rulling for 8 years. The first important is to be eligable from the first day I come to the NL. they said me, if I find a suitable job after 1 year, then I can have the 30% rulling benefit.

Is it possible? Anyone who can inform me? Can I eligable 30% rulling after 1 year working in Netherlands?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

There is no guarantee because the 30% ruling has to be agreed between both the employer and employee; the fact that you were previously entitled to 30%, does not necessarily mean it would roll over to your new job if your new employer did not agree.

Dear Cynic,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I unterstand that there is no guarantee but I can have. This is good news for me. Thanks again.

One other point I should make clear; you can't just take your 30% status and take it to any job; the job itself has to meet the same standard as when originally granted, i.e.:

1.  the employee works for an employer that is registered with the Dutch tax office and pays payroll tax;
2.  employer and employee have to agree in writing that the 30 percent ruling is applicable;
3.  the employee has to be transferred from abroad or has to be recruited abroad;
4.  the employee did not reside within 150km from the Dutch border for the last 18 out of 24 months at the time of hiring;
5.  the employee's salary is at least EUR 37,000 per annum.
6.  The employee needs to have expertise that is scarcely available in the Netherlands.

Cynic, I have an additional question for you.
Regarding to above mentioned item-4
"the employee did not reside within 150km from the Dutch border for the last 18 out of 24 months at the time of hiring"
is it a problem for me? because at the end of my contract (1 year contract) I will be in Netherlands for 1 year. I have never been in NL before and I will start to live with this contract. At the end of one year, I just want to use this benefit for other job contracts.

You can transfer jobs within 3-months of your previous contract expiring and still maintain your 30% status; but as I said, it must be to another qualifying job.  You can't use the allowance to change to self-employed status.

There is a lot of muttering going on within Holland regarding this as the consensus of opinion is that the Dutch don't gain very much from granting this benefit; it was a manifesto commitment of all the parties but 1 at the recent election to either reduce, or cancel it altogether; so it could be withdrawn at some stage in the future.

Expatriate health insurance in the Netherlands

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the Netherlands

Moving to the Netherlands

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Netherlands

Travel insurance in the Netherlands

Enjoy stress-free travel to the Netherlands