Temperary residency

Hi guys ,

I came across this site ,I really appreciate if someone could help me out with this visa information ,as I am really confused now

Currently I am married to a Vietnamese nationality ,I have visa exemption ,I want to apply for the Temporary residency card

My question is this

1,how long the validity of the passport should be for me to apply for the Temporary residency for 3 years or 5 years ..?

2,when I apply for temporary I will receive a card right ,do they stamp any sort of visa to the passport  I apply for the residency card after they  cancel  the visa exemption ,

3 ,as I read In the internet ,non of site isn't clear they don't talk about stamping the visa that will support the residency card,if there is no visa stamped and issued the residency card ,let's say I go out of Vietnam and I am coming back ,so the departure airport to Vietnam ,they will check the visa status on the passport , without the visa stamped and only the residency card in hand  will it do ...?

4, also if you married to a Vietnamese ,is there anyway I can apply for the permanent residency,even without living for 5 years in Vietnam(I am referring only the visa ,I don't require any Vietnamese passport at the time

I really appreciate some one could point me on the correct direction

Welcome to the forum, Marlan123 :)

Here are the answers to your questions.

Marlan123 wrote:

1,how long the validity of the passport should be for me to apply for the Temporary residency for 3 years or 5 years ..?

TRC (spousal) is valid for 3 yrs.
TRC is a separate ID card sort of
It's nothing to do with your PP validity (time left for your PP expiration).
If you have a VEC (5 yrs), you are eligible to get a TRC (spousal).

Marlan123 wrote:

2,when I apply for temporary I will receive a card right ,do they stamp any sort of visa to the passport  I apply for the residency card after they  cancel  the visa exemption ,

Yes, it's a card with your photo and DoB on it.
They won't cancel your VEC.
After your TRC expires, you can still use VEC if it's still valid.... and if you don't want to get another TRC.

Marlan123 wrote:

3 ,as I read In the internet ,non of site isn't clear they don't talk about stamping the visa that will support the residency card,if there is no visa stamped and issued the residency card ,let's say I go out of Vietnam and I am coming back ,so the departure airport to Vietnam ,they will check the visa status on the passport , without the visa stamped and only the residency card in hand  will it do ...?

Every time you enter/exit Vietnam, you should give your PP and TRC together to the immigration.
They know what to do/check. You will get an immigration stamp (exit/entry) on your PP.
That's all.

Marlan123 wrote:

4, also if you married to a Vietnamese ,is there anyway I can apply for the permanent residency,even without living for 5 years in Vietnam(I am referring only the visa ,I don't require any Vietnamese passport at the time

You have to live in Vietnam for a period of at least three consecutive years.
In Vietnam a PR (as they call it) is valid only for 10 years.
More on Permanent Residency in VN.

Please read the following sticky thread on this forum.
3 Year TRC (Temporary Residence Card) without work permit

Hope this info helps!
:cheers:

As long as your passport is valid for more than the TRC there are no problems. I had a TRC  years ago and they are very good.

WARNING.....as with most things, the TRC is up to where you apply and who you apply to. My friends were told to go away when they applied for one in Ba Ria Vung Tau provence. Officials can be a pain in the arse.

There is not much confused, Just as your Vietnamese wife to do that. She just needs to go to Vietnamese Immigration office and get actual details to apply.

senwl wrote:

Every time you enter/exit Vietnam, you should give your PP and TRC together to the immigration.
They know what to do/check. You will get an immigration stamp (exit/entry) on your PP.
That's all.

@senwl knows.
The TRC was easy for me, wife took documents, my photo and passport to local committee office without me.
Apparently now I can buy things like vehicles in my name, haven't tried yet.

The VEC stamp in your passport says your duration of entry cannot exceed 90 days. Then you have to either leave, or re-register at immigration.

This is a random person's 5 year VEC from internet, see small print in english
https://pixen.netlify.com/pix/vec.jpg

The TRC overrides the VEC, you are exempt from a visa, and the visa exemption 90 day rule. That's why like @senwl says, when arriving in immigration, be sure to show the TRC.

Backside of another random person's TRC.
https://pixen.netlify.com/pix/trc.jpg

gobot wrote:
senwl wrote:

That's all.

@senwl knows.
The TRC was easy for me, wife took documents, my photo and passport to local committee office without me.
Apparently now I can buy things like vehicles in my name, haven't tried yet.

The VEC stamp in your passport says your duration of entry cannot exceed 90 days. Then you have to either leave, or re-register at immigration.

This is a random person's 5 year VEC from internet, see small print in english
https://pixen.netlify.com/pix/vec.jpg

The TRC overrides the VEC, you are exempt from a visa, and the visa exemption 90 day rule. That's why like @senwl says, when arriving in immigration, be sure to show the TRC.

Backside of another random person's TRC.
https://pixen.netlify.com/pix/trc.jpg

Er, instead of "backside" you might like to use the words "reverse side". Backside is another word for arse in English  ;)

Anyway, the TRC was not at all difficult (mainly because my wife sorted it out) and it is oe of the most useful cards in my wallet - apart from credit and debit cards.

eodmatt wrote:

Er, instead of "backside"  ...

Yank learnt backside is spelt arse, is chuffed to bits 'bout this corker

gobot wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

Er, instead of "backside"  ...

Yank learnt backside is spelt arse, is chuffed to bits 'bout this corker

Ah yes, I should have said Ass. Eeyore eeyore Eeoughter have know though.

;)

Thanks guys for all the information !!! Really appreciate it ,

One of my concern was this - my passport expires in 02-12-2018 ,my Visa exemption expires in 02-06-2018 ,

So basically when I apply for the Temporary residency - also they will stamp the visa (Because when traveling from here ,they check the stickers on the passport lol)  incase if I renew the passport during the stay ,

But I am working in Dubai - I am traveling back and forth from coming months ,also I end the meantime , trying to settle down in Vietnam , buying property , opening a bank account ,so was kind of confused

Also guys I really appreciate if you can let me know ,the declaration process in Vietnam airport and also opening a bank ,what type of documentation needed

Thanks in advance

All bets are off. You need a new passport - you have less than 6 months!

A googled article

@ Marlan123
Next year just before your VEC expires in June, you should renew your PP first and then get a new VEC on your new PP. .
If you are in Dubai at that time, do it there (both new PP and new VEC).
Then come over to VN and apply for a TRC.
TRC will have your PP no. on it.

If you want to bring cash (USD), you can bring whatever amount you want.... BUT .... if the amount is more than $5000 , you should declare it to the customs at the airport.
They will give you a slip or some sort document which will help you deposit the money in any VN bank.
That document is a proof you've brought the money legally from outside of VN.

The other (best) way to do it is to open an acct in a local bank with minimum deposit and wire-transfer your money from your Dubai acct to that VN acct.

Hi gobat & senwl, thank you bro for this information ,it's really good .

One last question -- sorry if becoming a pain in the ass ,with so much of questions ,when declaring in the airport,do I need to bring any documentation from here ,will bank withdrawal slip enough ..?

Marlan123 wrote:

One last question -- ...,when declaring in the airport,do I need to bring any documentation from here ,will bank withdrawal slip enough ..?

It's wise to stay prepared for questions on the legitimate source of your money when you're planning to declare it to the customs at an airport.

Vietnam customs is no exception. In case of a very large amount of inbound USD cash, it's only natural that they may ask you a few questions.
Keep your bank withdrawal slip, bank statement, pay slips (if any) .. whatever proof you have ... ready at hand.
OTOH, you may not be asked any question at all during declaration. In fact, that'll be the most likely case.
Better, stay prepared.

Usually they won't search your baggage or force you to declare cash exceeding $5k.
It's totally up to you but, please remember, if you don't declare it there, you can't deposit it in any local bank later.

Here's another thread (from 2015) on the same topic.
Declaring currency when entering Vietnam....

As an aside, I wonder why you intend to bring large amount of cash.
I strongly recommend, you do it through bank/wire transfer. It's hassle-free.
Don't carry a lot of cash. Not safe at all.

Hi senwl ,

Thank you!!! For the advice ,I was thinking of buy an decent apartment !!!

Now I don't want to take a such big risk and loss hard earned money !!! And regret !!

I hope things go well

Take care bro !!!

Hi guys ,

Temporary residency only issued with the validity on the passport taken into account,once the passport have the validity for more than 3 years ,they will issue it got the na7 /8 application it's free ,just a piece of paper

Guys have anyone purchase any property having a Visa exemption ...? I really appreciate if you can advice