Universities in uganda

has anyone any experience of working at universities in uganda?
do many Westerners work there?

What sort of salaries, conditions etc, i.e. is housing usually provided?

Is it possible to work for just say 1 semester?

What about other sub-Saharan African countries (other than South Africa). Would I be better off looking at other countries instead?

My field is chemistry/biochemistry.

Hi and welcome on board mielo59 :)

I hope other members will give you some useful advices soon ;)

Regards
Armand

How does one get a job in Uganda? I've been trying online and I'm getting no joy..

Hi Mielo,

There are a number of westerners working in universities here. Conditions available really depend on agreements made with the university's administration. As far as im concerned, public universities normally provide housing allowances, and maybe other allowances i may not be aware of. As for the salary being a student, i would not know much about it. The duration also depends on agreement made with the university administration. I would recommend my university, "Cavendish University Uganda" You can google it for more info. Unfortunately, we dont have Chemistry as a course module but look through the website and hope it helps. It is a new university and has better standards compared to many around here. Talk about marketing my institution :)

All the best.

Thanks for your help.

I'm surprised that Cavendish University is not listed on the wikipedia site. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Uganda
It makes me wonder if there are many more colleges that are not on the wiki list.

A lot of universities in Uganda (including Cavendish) do not list their staff on their website. Hence it is impossible to know where their staff comes from.
For the Westerners/Europeans that are working at your university, do you know if they are funded by their own college/government or a European/International organization or are they paid directly by Cavendish?