Do and don't in China

Are you living in China? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in China?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in China?

Thanks!

hi there, im living in shanghai for 2 months now. it's not so hard to get used to the chinese culture, here's a few tips:

DO's and Dont's

1. do bargain 1/3 of the price that they're offering you. if they won't give in, they'd tell you "impossible" just pretend to walk away and if the price is still good enough for them they'd call you back.

2. bring a calculator all the time. if you want to ask for the price of something just use your calculator. they have hand gestures for the numbers. like crossing both of your pointing fingers to form an "x" means 10.

3. pinyin is not pronounced as we do in english, just because you see the pinyin translation doesn't mean it's pronounced the same way.

like zhou - is pronounced as joe

xi - is shi

bu shi - sounds like bu shoe (in a fast way)

4. do not humiliate them in public (i guess this works for all nationalities)

but what i mean by this is that if you have to tell them something that they did wrong make sure that it's only between the two of you. they make a big deal about losing face.

5. do not compare your country to china

if yours is so great, what are you doing in china in the first place? they are tired of all these comparisons so give them a break. they have their own traditions as you have yours...so if you can't say anything nice just shut up.

http://lovefashionandmakeup.i.ph