Close

commuting?

Hi everyone!
If I accept a job in Thuan An Town (VSIP), I pretty much have to live up there don't I....? If I lived in one of the districts in HCMC, would the commute be awful?
I want to be around people, restaurants and some nightlife when I'm not working. Whats it like living near VSIP?
I'm a teacher so thinking of holding out for something located in a better area....

scurtis :

Hi everyone!
If I accept a job in Thuan An Town (VSIP), I pretty much have to live up there don't I....? If I lived in one of the districts in HCMC, would the commute be awful?
I want to be around people, restaurants and some nightlife when I'm not working. Whats it like living near VSIP?
I'm a teacher so thinking of holding out for something located in a better area....

A lot of local Vietnamese are commuting from HCMC to Binh Duong province to work in the factories but they would mostly be from the districts north and east of the airport like Thu Duc or Go Vap, not downtown.  The big difference between living in these outer districts and Thuan An would be that Thuan An will not slowly kill you with air pollution.   :huh:  That and you will not get run over by the traffic.  A lot depends on what you call "better."

Another big plus would be that rentals should be a lot cheaper and some form of home ownership would even be possible if you decide that you like it there.  You said "some nightlife."  Unless you insist on spending your nights (and salary) at the hippest clubs in D1, there should be plenty of places, garden cafes in particular, to hang out and have a few with friends.

Binh Duong is one of the best places, if not the best place, in Viet Nam to live if you're into farm-to-table food.  There are many growers who believe in green and clean vegetables, many co-ops where vegetables are cut on the day of your order, and no other places in the country can compare with Binh Duong for the abundance of fresh fruits.

Your other post stated that you and your husband are looking into moving to VN together, so I wonder what kind of nightlife would you wish to find for a married couple, aside from restaurants and cafes?

There are a few well-known massage-and-more places in Binh Duong, if you were a man and into commercially-provided pleasure (I learned that term right here on this site!)

scurtis :

Hi everyone!

Most expats living around VSIP-1 are from different Asian countries working in various industries. You get a big Japanese shopping mall (Aeon) next to it. More or less, that's all. Utilities and Amenities - VSIP1

You may choose to live in Thu Dau Mot city (TDM), somewhere around Becamex Tower in Binh Duong. You will find a small (but growing) community of western expats, mostly teachers, there. There are many good restaurants, both high-end and garden coffee shops and a few bars in and around that area .... a recently-opened beer club as well.

Commuting to VSIP-1 and VSIP-2 from TDM is stress-free. It takes just 15 - 20  minutes of driving straight along the highway to reach VSIP-1 from Becamex.
You can also commute by bus (Route No. 61-6) which comes all the way to Ben Than bus station in D1, HCMC via TDM and VSIP-1.  You can give it a try in the weekends.
Check this map.

Personally, I like that area called Chanh Nghia in TDM. Very relaxing, very refreshing!

connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused)