Where do I stay in Bangkok??

Hi everyone!
I'm a 27 year old woman, and will be travelling to Bangkok on my own to settle and work there for a year or two. (I'm currently a teacher in Vietnam).
I've read many blogs and travel tips about living in Bangkok, but I'm still a bit unsure about a few things, for example the different areas to stay in Bangkok.
Can someone suggest an area where to stay in the city (especially for a new comer)? I would like to be in a safe area, close to public transport, because I'll be looking for a job as soon as I arrive, and I need to be central.
Because I'm a teacher, I can't afford the ‘15000THB a month apartments', but I've heard that there are decent places available in the city for much less. Is that possible?
I'm not fussy, and I'm up for any accommodation ideas (house share, home stay) just as long as I feel safe!
I would sincerely appreciate any advice or tips!!   
Hope to hear from you soon!
Lizelle

Hello Lizelle,

I have moved your thread to Bangkok forum for more visibility!

For your accommodation, you can also post a customized advert (as per your budget, room type) on Bangkok Classifieds Page Category>Accommodation. This might help you as well.

Regards

I would first find out where your job will be and then start looking for an apartment. You might get a cheapo apartment but end up spending a lot in commuting costs. If you really want to find a place before you start work I would look at the Phrakanon or On Nut areas. Some good inexpensive apartments can be found there close to the BTS stations.

As previous poster suggest you need to have a job before finding a place to stay otherwise you might end up living on opposite side of town.

If your credentials includes a teaching degree you might land a jobs that pays better than most.

Check the following for jobs:
ajarn.com
jobsdb.co.th

When looking for a place keep in mind that most cheaper places are further from main line public transportation which will increase you overall transportation cost.  A place within walking distance of transportation will cost more but transportation cost are much less.

Don't know what your budget will be but take a look at below while searching.  Remember don't rent anything sight unseen and try to rent close to skytrain or subway, it makes life so much easier.

sarannuch.com
mrroomfinder.com
9apartment.com

You might also use interactive map below to locate points of interest.

mapguidethailand.com

As Bangkok is a traffic jam city especially before long weekends, end of month and raining days that one may get stuck in the traffic for hours.  Its best to know where you are working first before renting a place.

Do bear in mind that some apartments may charge you extra for Electric and Water Bills.  Some may charge you maintenance fees like having security guard, cleaning of common areas etc

You need to total up the complete expenses (apartment rental and transport cost) before deciding on which place to stay.

i know of places that would suit you .. but before that, are you sill looking for it .. coz this post is pretty old now