Close

Ken Burns "The Viet Nam War" PBS Series

I've watched the first five episodes of this series and believe that this is very worth while. While somewhat simplified, both the Vietnamese and American sides are well represented.

Tis is mostly from what I wrote on "Quora"

Almost no one has any idea about the importance of Le Duan. But, Ken Burns got deeply into this very significant person and also showed some understanding of the Ho Chi Minh/Le Duan differences although he neglected to mention that Le Duan had actually staged a coup against the Ho Chi Minh government and placed Ho Chi Minh under house arrest.

Hanoi's War: An International History of the War for ... - Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Hanois-Wa...

While most historians of the Vietnam War focus on the origins of U.S. involvement and the Americanization of the conflict, Lien-Hang T. Nguyen examines the ...

Nguyen thi Lien-Hang had unprecedented access to the Vietnamese National Archives in Hanoi and her book, with superb documentation does get into important detail on the Ho Chi Minh/Le Duan conflict.

To the best of my knowledge, my wife’s book

“For Two Cows I Ain't Half-Bad: the memoir of a young girl in the Vietnam” War Kindle Edition

by Bac thi Eaton (Author), Sam Eaton (Editor)

4.9 out of 5 stars

22 customer reviews

is the only book available, that gets into detail about living in the Le Duan controlled areas of South Vietnam and actual first person experience with Le Duan’s War in the South

Dereliction of Duty: Johnson, McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and ...

Dereliction of Duty: Johnson, McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam: H. R. McMaster: 8601406702813: Amazon.com: Books

Dereliction Of Duty is a stunning analysis of how and why the United States became involved in an all-out and disastrous war in Southeast Asia. ...

McMaster shatters this and other misconceptions about the military and Vietnam in Dereliction of Duty. ...

McMaster stresses two elements in ...

McMaster does justice to the absolutely stupidity and idiocy of LBJ’s Vietnam War policy

Note, I have watched part of session #2 in Vietnamese. I do live in Vietnam. It is apparent that Vietnam has had an involvement in this series and I think that Vietnamese participation is valuable, useful and important. I do think that the presentation is fair. But, very complex issues have been simplified.

All in all, I am not the targeted customer. I’ve spent too many years in Vietnam and had long conversations with Vietnamese, on both sides, as well as my brother American Vietnam War Vets. Reading the books listed will give one a deeper, but narrower view and is likely to be a better use of time than watching the series.

Sessions three and four sound like Ken Burns, has read Dereliction of Duty: Johnson, McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam: H. R. McMaster: 8601406702813: Amazon.com: Books

Note, I have reframed from using the term “evil” in reference to LBJ and McNamara. Ken Burns has not. I will agree with LTG McMaster that “Dereliction of Duty” is appropriate.

Expatriate health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Travel insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Enjoy stress-free travel to Ho Chi Minh City