How long can I have my PR status???

My home country is China. My mother is a U.S. citizen. Now I am at American and my visa type is B-2. I want to know that how long can I get my PR status? If my toutist visa was out of date(I mean after the deadline),can I still living at American to waitting my PR???
Think you !

Hi terryz,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

You may check Visas in the USA guide.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Hi Terry.  I don't see why your mother cannot sponsor you for a permanent status now that she is a US citizen.  My suggestion is that you seek advice from an immigration lawyer BEFORE your student visa expires.  Most lawyers will evaluate your case before accepting you as a client.  Once the paperwork has been submitted, I strongly suggest that you work on your English for the interview at the INS office.  Having fluency in the English language helps your chances of getting a permanent resident status and a decent paying job. Good luck!

They really couldnt care less as to your English and if you would like to become a permant residence your mother can sponsor you....

As you are the daughter of a usc...but...are you married?  if so that causes complications, and 2, are you over 21....under 18 year olds is easy....under 21 is a little harder and over 21 is difficult....

please consider visajourney.com for more up to date answers....

Good luck.

Having gone through the process of converting a student visa to a PR status myself, I strongly suggest that you seek advice from an immigration attorney in person.  Visit your local association or club for immigrants for reliable referrals.  I used to volunteer teaching ESL at one of the clubs in Oakland.  Trust me....you will find the process a lot easier once you speak English well. Best of luck!

I second Brizchick's visajourney.com site recommendation.  :)