Residency or Citizenship?

I am a retired US citizen with a Spanish Residency permit. Am now eligible to apply for Spanish Citizenship. Is there any advantage to becoming a citizen of Spain, other than being able to vote?

Thanks for your quick reply tomasmmm. It is my understanding that for emergencies within Spain the generally quite large "Seguro Social" hospitals will provide emergency life threatening treatment to non-citizens. Wonder if presenting the Residency Card would be enough as I have no idea if those hospitals have billing procedures.
Are you saying that with the Spanish passport other EU countries do not require that a "Seguro Social" card be presented?

I am pretty sure you cannot have dual nationality so, at least on paper, you may need to denounce your USA nationality of you want to take up Spanish nationality.

There are a few excepts (one is nationals of former Spanish colonies) so I suggest you check that out before jumping in the deep end

Health cover:   If you were legally resident in Spain on 24th April 2012, then you are eligible for free health cover in Spain. I have an American friend who has that.

I have just, yet again, searched re Spain and dual nationalty.  I did not find anything which suports your post Tomas.

I would really apprecaite it if you would point me to a web page which confirms what you said. 

Thanks   John

I am a US national married to a Spanish woman. I have the Spanish national care plan. I also have a European health care card as does the rest of my family. As far as travelling in Europe, If your travel originated in Spain to another Schengen zone country (which includes all of the EU), you could, until recently, enter without going through passport control only carrying your Spanish ID, which I have rarely been asked for.  There have been some recent changes (see Schengen changes . As for reasons for obtaining citizenship, most, if not all government jobs require Spanish or EU citizenship, I believe. I believe that Spain functions like other countries in attending to people in life-threatening situations. Obviously, they probably try to collect for services, but not sure what they can do if a patient leaves the hospital.

As for dual nationality, until recently, I had always heard that the US would only accept dual national status of Israelis, and if the Government found that a US citizen became a citizen of another country of their own volition (that the citizenship was not offeted as a gift), that the person's US citizenship would be cancelled. More recently, I have read that a person can be a dual national, that he only loses US citizenship by submitting documentation to lose citizenship.

One reason that I don't become a Spanish citizen is the fear that Trump, or some other American president, might decide that all the American expats that are no longer citizens no longer have the right to any US benefits, such as Medicare or Social Security. That would affect me in a big way.

Just to clarify.

My understanding is that although some countries do not have any concerns about their nationals having dual, triple etc. nationality there are some countries which will not permit that.
I had UK nationality; I now have Irish UK nationality.  Neither country objects to that situation. 

However, my wife is Filipina and I thus have enquired what would happen in her case if she applied for Spanish nationality. I know that citizens of former colonies of Spain can apply for Spanish nationality without waiting 10 years of residency,  and are permitted by Spain to have dual nationality

I also know that a UK citizen, under Spanish law,  must renounce that if they take Spanish nationality. That is, whilst UK does not object Spain will not allow it.

I know from a German friend who has been married to a Spaniard for many years that she was able, many years ago, to have German and Spanish nationality, but that law later changed.

I also believe that those with Spanish parents, maybe grandparents, may be able to have dual nationality recognised by Spain, but without researching that I cannot quote the exact circumstances required for that.

PS        Of course it is possible, whilst probably illegal, to lie and say that one has renounced their former nationality in order to obtain Spanish nationality when in fcat they have not done so.  I dare say many may have done that, but not a course I would recommend

no, that is not true, USA has an agreement with most EU countries allowing dual citizenship. I am the best example of it.

Tomas.  Am I correct in my understanding that you are now saying there is no legal way to have USA and Spanish nationality. i.e. no agreement ?     Just that you did not tell the truth (either in your post here or to the authorities).

If I have misunderstood please tell me and point me to the web info.     I work at a comisaria here in Spain and I am frequently required to explain the law as it really is.

Johncar wrote:

Health cover:   If you were legally resident in Spain on 24th April 2012, then you are eligible for free health cover in Spain. I have an American friend who has that.

When I renewed my residency permit in 2015, I had to present a Spanish health insurance policy from a private company as part of the required documentation. Based on my reading of the requirements to obtain the "Tarjeta Sanitaria Individual" (which entitles one to free health care), you must first obtain approval from the INSS (Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social). It is my understanding that to be recognized by the INSS, one must have previously paid into the program.  I have never drawn a salary in Spain, so therefor never had deductions paid into the SS.
I would be interested to know how your friend obtained approval from the INSS to present to obtain the Tarjeta.

In my case, I was a Ramon y Cajal fellow for ,3.5 years do that may be part of the reason I have a card. I am also married to a Spanish citizen.

Traveler

My friend from USA who has cover has never worked nor paid into the system in Spain 
As you will see from the below web page, that is not a requirement.

This an extract from:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain

If you registered as a resident in Spain before 24 April 2012, have an annual income of less than €100,000 and are not covered for healthcare though any other means, speak to your local INSS office to register for healthcare in Spain as a resident.

Johncar wrote:

Traveler

My friend from USA who has cover has never worked nor paid into the system in Spain 
As you will see from the below web page, that is not a requirement.

This an extract from:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain

If you registered as a resident in Spain before 24 April 2012, have an annual income of less than €100,000 and are not covered for healthcare though any other means, speak to your local INSS office to register for healthcare in Spain as a resident.

johncar : The link you supplied is for people of the United Kingdom which is still a member of the EU, and have healthcare supplied by their government. I don't see how USA citizens residents in Spain can obtain free coverage.
I will go by the local office of the Seguro Social here in Asturias to ask.

Traveler:   Yes it is a link for UK

BUT IF IT DID NOT APPLY UNIVERSALLY I WOULD HAVE SAID SO.

As you will see, there is no requirement to be anything other what it clearly says.

It does not mention any nationalities: It applies to ALL who are included in the descripition.

As I said,   a USA friend registered and now gets free cover,  i.e nothing whatsoever to do with being an EU citizen. Thus Brexit wil not affect it either,  unless some totally exceptional changes are made to the existing rules to exclude just UK citizens.

(Please  excuse the bold fonts,  but I am hoping this time to make it totally clear to all !  )

Re: healthcare- look into the convenio especial.  It's the Spanish national health plan, but you pay for it separately.  Downsides to joining are that your coverage is only good within Spain, but at least it's a way for US citizens to join the national plan (and at very, very good prices, too.)

Re: US/Spain dual citizenship.  Yes, you can get both.  Spain asks that you swear allegiance to Spain and denounce any other nationalities you might have, but they don't do anything to check and see if you've actually done so.

The US Supreme Court has held that unless you affirmatively go to the US government and confirm that you want to give up your US citizenship, then merely gaining Spanish citizenship doesn't mean you lose the US citizenship.  It's a matter of a Constitutional judgement, so it's not even subject to change by Trump, or the next President, or anything.

For a US government reference, see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … ality.html

Papa

Convenio Especial:
     I believe that is only applicable in certain Regions

However, the regulation which allows free medical cover to those who were legal residents in Spain on 24th April 2012, and who fit the requirements, as posted previously, are entitled to FREE COVER. Regardless of nationality.

Re: US/Spain dual citizenship.  Yes, you can get both.  Spain asks that you swear allegiance to Spain and denounce any other nationalities you might have, but they don't do anything to check and see if you've actually done so.

If one swears allegiance to Spain then they cannot also hold allegiance to another country. For one to say they have denounced their former national but not to have done so is a lie.  In some jurisdictions it might also amount to perjury which is a criminal offence.

The US Supreme Court has held that unless you affirmatively go to the US government and confirm that you want to give up your US citizenship, then merely gaining Spanish citizenship doesn't mean you lose the US citizenship.  It's a matter of a Constitutional judgement, so it's not even subject to change by Trump, or the next President, or anything.

I think we all knew that as it is probably the same in every country.

Yes, John, everyone knows your views about the morality of the subject.  Thank you for yet again chiming in.

Have you ever heard of anyone ever getting in trouble with the Spanish government for this? 

On the flip side, surely you know that there are thousands of people holding dual citizenships who have been in this exact situation?

Papa

If one knows the law and chooses to disregard it that is entirely a matter for that person,  however, if someone could have put them straight and did not do it, saying afterward,    “ I could have told you that` is pretty useless.

I have known many people who have been prosecuted who said previously that they would not get caught !    In fact the prisons are full of them, but one might think they are not the sharpest knives in the box !

I have dual nationality,  UK and  Irish, but that did not require fraud, as UK and Ireland permit it.

Just to respond to this, it's not true what that it'll be a lie. This is what my lawyer showed me when I asked about this question in Spain (it was published as guidelines for the General Department for Records and Notaries):

"EDD 2014/286246 Res. DGRN de 11 abril 2014. Registro Civil: “(…)la renuncia a la nacionalidad anterior que exige el artículo 23 b) del Código civil como requisito de validez de la adquisición de la nacionalidad española ha sido interpretada por la doctrina oficial de la Dirección General de los Registros y del Notariado como un mero requisito formal de "declaración de la renuncia ", con independencia de los efectos que tal declaración pueda desplegar para el ordenamiento jurídico extranjero respectivo, es decir, al margen de que dicha renuncia produzca o no de iure la pérdida de la nacionalidad a la que se declara renunciar , ya que lo contrario implicaría subordinar la adquisición de la nacionalidad española a la concepción propia sobre la nacionalidad del Derecho extranjero (vid. Resolución de 24 de septiembre de 1971)”."

The important part is the "mero requisito formal de "declaración de la renuncia", con independencia de los efectos que tal declaración pueda desplegar para el ordenamiento jurídico extranjero respectivo" which translates to the following "a mere formal requirement of a "declaration of renunciation", regardless of the effects that such a declaration can develop for the respective legal foreign entity." It also explains why since that would mean that the acquisition of Spanish nationality would be dependent on foreign nationality laws which doesn't make sense.

So you can get Spanish nationality without officially renouncing your previous one. It is just an oath and it doesn't count as losing your US citizenship nor does it mean you are lying to Spanish officials. It just means that you always have to enter Spain with your Spanish passport and you cannot call on the US embassy if you need help because you are considered only a Spanish citizen for the Spanish authorities (versus, if Spain accepted dual citizenship for US citizens, then you could be considered both a Spanish and a US citizen).

Also, the US explains their side as well in a few famous court cases. The US government cannot legally take away someone's citizenship without good cause and it cannot do it against their will so you cannot get your US citizenship "cancelled" or anything like that. In fact, the US consulate in Barcelona has a page on their website that discusses this a bit (https://es.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … 1515598849). If you research it, they'll explain what the cases are that could cause the loss of US citizenship upon obtaining another citizenship which include joining the military of that country without getting approval from the US government first, purposely working against the interests of the US, etc. All of this requires you to state in front of the US government that you have done this AND you declare that you want to lose your US citizenship. I know this is wikipedia, but it does explain the US Supreme Court's decision on the matter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afroyim_v._Rusk .

Here is the website from the US Department from State that discusses this (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … ality.html) and this is the part that's most relevant to the discussion:

"Administrative Presumption of Intent to Retain U.S. Citizenship

As already noted, the actions listed above will result in the loss of U.S. nationality if performed voluntarily and with the intention of relinquishing U.S. nationality.  The Department has adopted an administrative presumption  that U.S. nationals intend to retain United States nationality when they: obtain naturalization in a foreign state (INA 349 (a)(1)); declare their allegiance to a foreign state (INA 349(a)(2)); serve as an officer in the armed forces of a foreign state not engaged in hostilities with the United States (INA 349(a)(3)); or accept non-policy level employment with a foreign government (INA 349(a)(4)).  In accordance with the administrative presumption, when an individual commits one of the foregoing acts, that person will retain U.S. nationality unless he or she affirmatively, explicitly, and unequivocally asserts an intention to relinquish such nationality.

Disposition of Cases when Administrative Presumption is Applicable

When, as the result of an individual's inquiry or an individual's application for a passport it comes to the attention of a U.S. consular officer that a U.S. national has performed an act made potentially expatriating by INA Sections 349(a)(1), 349(a)(2), 349(a)(3) or 349(a)(4) as described above, the consular officer will simply ask the applicant if he/she intended to relinquish U.S. nationality when performing the act.  If the answer is no, the consular officer will record that it was not the person's intent to relinquish U.S. nationality and, consequently, find that the person has retained U.S. nationality."

I know that I wrote a lot, but it seems to be a topic that comes up a lot and there are answers to it besides just opinions. A lot of Americans around the world get second nationalities, a lot of Spaniards have second nationalities, this is due to the laws that are in place.