Foreign worker Humiliated by office security guard.

I am working in a sme company which is renting a low rise office bldg. One day, the guard of the office building scolded me in the lobby in front of many people because of--- touching the plant. (Background: she use to make fun/joke at me so i thought touching the plant is okay)  I said sorry but the guard scolded me some more. I felt very bad, very degraded until now. So i told my boss about what had happened (and told them of my plan to leave) then few days after they talk to the guard. I didnt know that they talked to the guard. So this guard wanted to talk to me for whatever reason she has!! this guard is one of kind, so while i was chatting with my friend in the smoking area, she went there and grab my hand. And demanded that we talk. That guard hold my face and forced me to look on her face. I tell you, i was damn pissed off. But i controlled myself and walk out. She shouted and said that if i dont talk to her she will go to our office and talk to me. You see the nerve and attitude? Oh god. And while i am writing this, I am still angered by that moment.

I just wanted to share this and hear your thoughts. I wanted to leave my company coz i am thinking, there are far more better place to work. I am not the type of person who will stoop down and fight in public places. And i wanted to ask, are they allow to do that? Coz i felt that i was assaulted and humiliated badly. I feel that locals really dont like foreigners and thinks they can do whatever they want coz this is their territory. :(

Sorry to here your colleague's rude behaviour at you in the public. There are following few steps you could have taken or may consider:

1. You did good thing to inform your line manager, the next step should have done at your company is that your line manager must have informed to the guard's reporting manager then 4 of you sit together then discuss face to face then close the case there itself, whoever at fault should have apologised.

2. As per the HR policy of your company, after you disclosed the incident with your line manager, he must have gone to her reporting manager and inform to HR. As per the behavioural guidelines of your company policy, HR arrange a meeting and sent her a warning letter not to behave rudely in open places.

3. Or else, you may try to make her realise that this is a company where both of you are working. If you did anything, which is not appropriate or did wrong at your end then she should have complained to her manager but she has absolutely no rights to shout and misbehave at open area in the company.

There is no such policy in place that a local can misbehave a foreigner in the open areas infront of other colleagues. She must be a bad mannered person and should have dealt through in a proper way.

Leaving company may or may not provide you solution as if you will find similar situation in another company then what will you do? To change again? Running from the trouble is not the solution, rather face it and solve the problem is the correct approach, I reckon. Good luck

why do you let the guard hold your face?  she has no right to do so either

The guard has no right at all to discriminate you or, as she did by holding your face, attack you.
You should report that incidence again and strongly ask your employer to take measures to protect you from that person.
As I understand this happened in a public area in front of others, you should also ask them to be witnesses. This will strengthen your case.
If what you wrote was true (and you didn't omit any other side of the story), the guard will quickly lose her job after that.

Hi all,

I did told my manager, even the owner of the company. But i guess, there are far more importamt things on their mind to bother how i felt that time or how i am feeling until now. They didnt even raise the concern or a complaint to the bldg mgt as what they have promised. Plus.. Sad to say, the witnesses that were there (esp when the guard kinda assaulted/attacked me) are guard's friends. And that guard often offer/gives small items/foods/fruits/drinks etc to them (i consider it bribe to them), maybe to shut their mouth if anyone asked abt what happened. The world in there seems to be upside down. The office setting i did not imagine i will be in. The effing guard has so much influence to the rest of my colleagues. Quite weird and odd.

I am sick of seeing that guard's face and hearing that irritating voice (very disgusting).

More than that, I am just so disappointed, that with all the hardwork i have given to the company......

Then it seems the best way out of this is to quit and look for another job.

Hi guys,

Thank you for all your replies. I suddenly remember this and thought of thanking those who replied me. I quit from that company. It's NOT worth staying considering I was already OVERWORKED and UNDERPAID plus with no healthcard/benefits and no chance for career advancement/growth.

I am not happy with one of my colleagues too. He is a self-proclaimed christian yet back stabs his team mates and religiously spent time every morning criticizing foreign workers - professional or domestic. Who would enjoy going to office with this? I have no further reason to stay there. I am just charging it all to experience. And wish them peace.

I am so much happy now with my new MNcompany. It's totally different there, prolly because it is startup sme and run by family members to begin with. The arrogant security guard is i think the favorite Aunt of our Admin, who happens to be the favorite cousin of the owner. How can I expect equality there? 😁

"The world is full injustices and inequalities, sometime all you can do is accept it". That's the message I was told. O well.