Accessing your pension/money in UK bank while in Manila

Hi folks,

My Filipino wife and I are soon to live in Manila. I plan to retain my existing bank account in the UK with my pension being paid into that account.

I realise that I can withdraw money from ATM's in Manila for around £5 a pop, or send to myself or wife via Worldremit, Remitly etc.

However, I am keen to hear how other expats organise that process?

Ideally, I would like to be able to transfer money as required from my UK bank account to a Filipino bank and withdraw it for free via ATM's etc in Manila.

I am still in the UK at the moment so I could open an account with BPI or BDO in a London branch if that makes the process easier?

My wife already has a BDO Kabayan savings account with atm card.

My UK bank has already said they will send a new atm card to whatever address I have registered with them, even in the Philippines.....I assume by courier.

Thanks in advance for any advice etc

Cheers
Alan :)

I am in that position. My pensions are paid into UK banks. I opened an account at BDO in Cebu. (it required 2 photo IDs - passport and UK driving licence are OK) and a 2x1 photo which I got at the local Mall. Why they wanted that I don't know as they took a photo while I was there, and I showed condo lease agreement for proof of address.
5 days later I got my BDO card. They gave me full details of SWIFT code etc for transfers. At the moment I find sending by world remit to my account is definitely quicker (often under 5 minutes) and a lot cheaper than bank transfer.
If you are with HSBC in UK it is possible to open an HSBC account here to get free transfers but I don't know what the exchange rates are like for that also I think it takes a few days.
I will get round to investigating other methods one day, perhaps, but this method works well for me

Thanks for the reply and info....very helpful......

Yes Worlremit, Remitly are very useful and reasonably priced.

That's interesting re BDO requirements etc.....My wife already has a BDO account, so it may be useful if I open one too......

Yes, I have thought of HSBC but to get access to their Advance account, which includes access of their Philippines atms etc you need to pay in £1700 a month minimum :O

I wonder is their standard current account lets you use their worldwide ATMs and free transfers hehe?

Another concern I have is receiving new debit cards, as most banks just post them out to your address and wont offer a courier service.......Does anyone have experience of this.....did your card arrive ok with the Philippines Postal Service?

Cheers
Allan

I still have a UK address registered with my banks. My son here in UK receives and sorts mail then forwards anything important (not much). I don't really use my UK cards much as I do UK banking online and use BDO card here. I am due new UK cards at the end of this year, I have asked him to courier them

I think I will do that too as in keep a UK address for the banks and get cards couriered over as required.

My bank wont even let you pay extra to have them courier the card to an address abroud. They just send via regular mail 🤤

Cheers

I've also set up phone apps for my UK accounts, so much easier than having to fire up a laptop to check balances etc. and easier/more convenient. Needed to do that in UK for some reason