Retiring in Lesotho

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Lesotho? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Lesotho (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Lesotho's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Lesotho?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

@Priscilla

Why did you choose to retire in Lesotho? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

I came to Lesotho in 2011 to work on an American Millennium Challenge Account funded water project as I am a Civil Engineer. I was on that project for two years and have been based here since that date but working outside in Singapore, Egypt, Mozambique and DRC until 2021 after which I have been doing freelance consultancy from the Mountain Kingdom, basically semi retired. I have a Mosotho wife and one child so fully settled here.

I walk a lot and feel quite safe, people  are friendly, kind and the high murder rate is  associated with mainly alcohol induced domestic problems, music gang  rivalry and politics as over 50 political parties in a country of just over 2 million people!!! My pension is sufficient for me and family here whereas I would struggle in UK.

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

AS ABOVE. Transferring pension is not difficult via internet banking.  Opening a local bank account if you have a resident visa is not difficult. People complain but here in Masesu water and electricity are 99% available. Roads are ok and eg in the Malls there is  toilet paper in the toilets which in most other African countries would not be the case as first "customer" would take it with them.

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Lesotho (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

I have an indefinite resident  visa by virtue of my marriage to a Mosotho. The formalities are tedious but for Africa, and I have worked in 12 countries, on the continent not that difficult.

What is Lesotho's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

There are decent private hospitals and clinics but generally if a bigger problem you are referred to South Africa Bloemfontein

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Lesotho?

Not really. The beer  is good and cheap

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla