Retiring in Italy

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Italy? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Italy (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Italy's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Italy?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I am English and retired here 3 years ago. To survive here you need to be able to adapt with most things.
I researched my retirement and a lot was said about beurocracy how frustrating it is. I have not had any problems with 'red tape' however, it looks like red tape, but any problems are down to not being fluent with the language, not understanding protocols, speaking fluently you can soon get to grips with things. I have had a huge problem with locals being nice but believing you are stupid. This can manifest itself in many ways, from being ripped off, being patronised, without them thinking of what major life changes you are making. The type of people who behave towards you in such a way are panicked when something small happens out the the ordinary, so how can they put themselves in your shoes.
Life in Italy is very slow and relaxing, it's like going back in time 50 years to a time older people remember and value. The extended family works very well, the yearly calendar is guided by the seasons and of course religious and other festivals. The celebrations are fun and free. Most months there is something going on. August, for about 10 days is well party time, it can be exhausting trying to fit in all the activities, concerts and very late nights. Things don't normally start till after 9pm and go on until the unearly hours!
The cost of living I find is much cheaper here, if you only own one house in Italy or rent, you do not pay housing tax(council tax) and if you do happen to own 2 properties, the housing tax will set you back about 1/12 of your council tax on the Uk, and they split the pay,ment to make it easier everyone pays a 3xyearly fee to have their rubbish removed. Under 200 euro total a year! Wine, beer cigarettes and petrol are much cheaper. As are rented properties.
Health care, all residents can apply for a health card if a Uk citizen, if you are on a state pension this is very straightforward, under pension age you need to have adequate NI payments made, medications even if you havetay privately are often much cheaper than having to buy single items under the NHS. I do believe those under pension age can purchase a medical card for 300 euros per year

All this being said, I would tread carefully if moving here from the uk. State pensions are at risk of being frozen after the Brexit. Currently the Europeans are being more helpful to us Brits, than the uk government are being to the EU nationals  strange  times. If it were me. I would wait till everything is settled, that way you can make an informed decision .

H
Pp