How to save money in Kenya

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Kenya? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Kenya? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

If you don't have a car then use Taxifi or Uber. They are very cheap, safe and easily available vis a viz  local taxies.
Buy fruits & vegetables from road side vendors. You get fresh veggies and also help needy once.
Carffour is best option for electronics and groceries.

Hope I've done my bit.

Regards
Shailesh

Hey guys,

So my main tips would be to make friends with some locals that you work with and ask them to show you their favourite places to eat,shop etc. These will be off the touristy track and should save you a buck. I agree with Shailesh Sharma, Uber is a definite money saver. If you are brave enough, you could familiarise yourself with the local transport systems for getting about on the weekends especially. It will also help you explore your new home.

If you use Uber.......please consider the drivers, who are paid very very little.  Uber is cheap for a reason and the savings are made by poor revenue to drivers, who are then forced to work excessive numbers of hours, which of course isn't that safe.    I have a nephew who is an Uber driver, so I know a bit of both sides.  Personally I refuse to use Uber.  I cannot support such an exploitative operation.

This really sums it all up much better than I can:

http://gadocartoons.com/uber-drivers-uberkenya/