Taxes?

Anyone out there teaching in an International School?  What kind of Vietnamese taxes do you pay?  Is anyone out there aware of how the "tax treaty" with Canada works out?

Hello,

The school will pay your taxes - so the salary they are talking to you about is with tax already taken out - not sure about in treaty with Canada but usually if you pay tax overseas you won't have to at home.

:-)

Thanks Emma,
That's good info.  It looked like my salary was before taxes, but I wasn't quite sure if they were going to take it out of the gross salary or pay it separately. 
Are you at an International School?  If so, which one..I'm trying to find info on how others like working at the one I'm going to ....

Some schools, I would wager most, quote a pre-tax wage.  You need to talk to the school you'll be working at.  You could pay up to 40%, though I have usually paid 10%.

Here's the tax scheme:

ktcvietnam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18:d-tho-thu-thu-nhp-ca-nhan-2007&catid=9:taxation&Itemid=16

Make sure you have a PIT # and that the money is going where it should. 

Get everything in writing, if you can.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info ...that's good to know.  We get paid in net salary and the school pays an unknown (unknown to us) amount in taxes.  For some reason we cannot get an amount on this, from them, but according to Canada tax treaties, whatever they don't pay on that salary level, we have to make up the difference when we get home...so it makes a difference to us. 
The web-site and knowing about the "PIT" number should really help us and we'll make sure having that # and amount in writing is part of our contract. Is this # something they should be able to provide within your first month of being there?
Thanks!

The 3 Wanderers wrote:

Thanks for the info ...that's good to know.  We get paid in net salary and the school pays an unknown (unknown to us) amount in taxes.  For some reason we cannot get an amount on this, from them, but according to Canada tax treaties, whatever they don't pay on that salary level, we have to make up the difference when we get home...so it makes a difference to us. 
The web-site and knowing about the "PIT" number should really help us and we'll make sure having that # and amount in writing is part of our contract. Is this # something they should be able to provide within your first month of being there?
Thanks!

Yes, they should.  I'd give them till your first paycheck.  Make sure you get your pay stub, complete with the accountants red seal/stamp, similar to the one on this visa on arrival. 

http://www.visaforvietnam.org/Download/ … rrival.jpg

Anything that is official here has a stamp like that.  It's actually illegal to possess a stamping device, outside of an official capacity, that leaves a round impression. 

I'd be very curious as to why they can't provide you with the amount they'll pay and would consider it a red flag.