ATMs/Debit Cards/Banks/Cash in Vietnam

I'm moving to Hanoi in April and I'm in a bit of a conundrum as to what to do about money.

I am American, currently living in Japan, currently have NO American bank account (was paying 20 dollars/m fees for unused account so I closed it). I have a Japanese account and a Japanese cash card I use to withdraw money here, but it can only be used in Japan.

I tried to get a Visa debit card to associate with this bank account, but got rejected for reasons that were not mentioned in the odd rejection letter.

That aside, what do most people do in Vietnam for money? Is it easy to find international ATMs in case I AM able to associate some kind of debit card with an offshore bank account? Are fees high? Will it be better to open a Vietnamese bank account when I arrive there? And is it it easy/quick to do so as a foreigner?

I will be in Vietnam probably just 4-6 months on a work visa.

Any light you all could shed on the $$$ situation in Vietnam would be appreciated!

If I forgot to mention anything relevant, please ask :)

Thanks in advance for responses.

@Drum. Might want to check this link out:

newhanoian.xemzi.com/en/aska/answers/qid/428

I moved here from Japan about 4 years ago. Where you at? I was in the Sagamihara area.

Hi,

you can open a bank account in ANZ bank, just with your passport. And they have an agreement to take money from other atm bank without comission, so it will be easy to withdraw money.

You won't pay any fee account if you have a balance of 300 dollars or high, so it will be easy too, you will just pay fees for the card (debit or credit, and debit was arround 20 dollars per year)

Another vietnamise banks charge you fees to deposit money and a lot of comissions too!

So you chan check the bank website if you want!!

Good luck!!

sofai per the website:

Free ATM withdrawals at ANZ ATMs in Vietnam and Dong A ATMs

http://www.anz.com/vietnam/en/Personal/ … ebit-Card/

Hi,
I am working at bank.
You can reach me at skype: hoang.thy.khuong if you have any question about account, ATM, etc.. I hope I can support you a little.
Nice day,

Kelly