Naturalisation and citizenship in Portugal

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Portugal? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Portugal? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Portuguese citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

For me, as a British citizen, I  think it's fairly clear that the benefits are maintaining EU working rights, after a lot of silly older people in Britain voted to ruin the lives of our youth because of their tired, imagined visions of an enduring British empire which is at best naive  and, at worst, deeply worrying.

As such, as I plan never to move back to the island, I had always planned to apply for citizenship here.

The process is that, after 5 years' work here, you can apply for citizenship. I believe the process is more time consuming than it is difficult.

But since that original plan was made, I've decided to get married to my Portuguese girlfriend, so the process reduces further, to three years.

I envisage myself as a Portuguese by the end of 2021.

For Brazilians It is difficult to get Portuguese citizenship because of the new documents required . One of such documents is birth certificate of "full content" (certidão de nascimento de inteiro teor) which is a textual account of your parents situation when you were born! It is not easy to get this new certificate in Brazil. Moreover this will have to be stamped by the ministry of foreign relations  and by the consulate in Brazil. Despite the fact that my brothers and sisters already have Portuguese citizenship , my mother is Portuguese and my grandparents Portuguese it is being so difficult to deal with the council representatives that I gave up?
!

That's really cool. Do you need a special visa to work here?

I don't think so . I would however need Portuguese citizenship to work for the government . That's the question!

That sounds so crazy....I thought that Spain was bad for this stupid kind of red tape and bureaucracy, but it looks like Portugal is just bad