Muso from South Africa looking to relocate

Hi,

My name is Karlo, I am a music teacher/business owner in Pretoria, South Africa. I have been here all my life but my heart has always pulled to Spain. It is my heart's desire to move to Spain and setup a Music School there as soon as possible. I teach piano, organ, and all brass and woodwind instruments.
Currently I have 75 students here, but the school will continue here under tutorship of my senior students. I turn 50 in a few days time, and I really would like to spend the latter part of my life in Spain.
This is just some pics of the music school students here:

https://snapsandshoots.wordpress.com/20 … ic-school/

I hope to get some guidance as to how to go about moving to Spain,

Regards,

Karlo

Hi Muso,
Hope all is well there in SA, I am a SA living in Spain for the past 14 years, if it weren't for my folks I would have never left SA. But, what is done is done. even with the current SA issues if I could I would go back to SA.  But going back to your wish to move to Spain, is a nice country, nice people (most of it), its like everywhere good and bad. One word of advise, if you are coming make sure, you have enough funds, in case of emergencies.  I felt in my own skin what is like, everything was fine, until my dad got diagnosed with Alzheimer, etc..... quite bad, lasted for nearly 7 years he passed away 7 months ago. I depleted my savings, pension plans, etc..... for is care as well as my mom (fibromialgia, etc), now that I need help just for surviving there is nothing coming forward from the gov and/or the provinces gov. I have been abandoned, yea we have health care (gov) but does not cover all the needs for those illness, we are European community residents legally.  Here provided you do not need anything from them all is good and fantastic, plenty friends, etc....the moment you need them forget you are abandoned. In my case was all caused by a family health problem and not by any other cause. I find my self at 60, begging for food, etc...... believe it or not. All this can be proved by docs. Ah and I have worked here in Spain, and paid taxes, social security, etc..... My advise come as a refugee you have more rights and help then people that been living here for many years. Regards and good luck.

Hi, thanx for the info...'m a Music Teacher by profession so I'm looking to either work at a school or start my own music school. I just need to find a way.

Hi Carlo,

From what I hear and read on Spain is a great place to live. It also seem that one needs to be financially strong as the country does not offer many jobs, their rate of jobless people is very high and spannish people come first.

Maybe you should first make a short list of music institutions which may your skills ? Do you speak spannish? if not it might be difficult to find a job unless there are schools or music organisations for english speakers only and no need for spannish language?

Also maybe you should first determine the place where you want to be if you know Spain? although this will be determined by the job place...

I am French living in SA and would like to relocate to Spain next year. I am doing research on how to do so and where to settle. Mostly in what to invest to have an income when relocating there. I do not speak spannish but determined to learn before moving there.
I am sorry not able to help in your field but can  share my info  if that can help. I am planning to go sometimes this May to see for myself what it like in south of spain...
Mistygrey

First stop is your local Spanish embassy/consulate in SA. No point making too many plans if you can't get a Visa and for non EU nationals this can prove difficult.

Hi,

Thanx for that, that is very helpful. I only speak a little Spanish..but I realize i have to learn much more. I think your plan to go there is a great idea, probably the best way to really find out and scout.

Karlo

Hi Karlo,
Did you move from Pretoria to Spain?  I live in Cape Town and looking to move to Madrid to teach English.  I have been told this is impossible for a S.A Passport holder....
I have to find a way...
Hope to hear from you.
Julie