Bartending in Dubai from Canada

Hi everyone!

I am from Canada as is my fiance. She is currently working for Emirates and living in Dubai. I am considering moving there to be with her and was wondering if anyone had any experience working as an expat bartender?

I have more than 5 years experience in the industry from catering, high-end restaurants to speed bartending at busy venues. I can also flare bartend. I am currently supervising a hotel bar here in Canada. I was recently offered the assistant GM position but declined due to my plans of moving abroad.

From my research, it seems I can expect to make around 3000AED a month, which works out to be just $1000. This seems very low. I see that "service charge" is added to this and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what I can expect in tips or service on top of this. I have accommodation covered already with my fiance. Could this improve a potential offer, as I understand it is included with many packages?

I also see that it seems a typical work week is 6 days and 48hrs, 6 days off a month and about 30 days annual paid leave? Can anyone confirm this as the norm? Has anyone else got a better offer than this? In Canada, one of the great things about bartending is the flexibility with your schedule. You can trade shifts or move around hours in order to get days off you want, that doesn't seem to be the case in Dubai?

I also understand most contracts are 2 years? Are there repercussions for leaving a contract early? Has anyone been offered a 1-year contract?

What is the best way to go about applying for jobs? Did you work with a recruiter? Did you go through online job listings or cold call hotels? Is it better to go there and try and meet with the hiring managers?

Any additional tips or advice you obtained from experience are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Jeff

Hi there...how are you?

Im new here, I just joined few days ago...while browsing i saw your post.

Im a filipina and for over four years I worked as a bar waitress in a five star hotel here in Dubai... and now I am a barwoman... for us filipinos the salary is low... but Im sure they can offer you a much higher salary than us asean since you are a canadian and you have very good experience.

Have you heard about Caterergobal.com? you can search job there...recently i just went at look at the website and i saw some bartender jobs posted. you can find different hotels in Dubai through that website...or you can come here under tourist visa and do the searching here...

I am very much sure you can find job fast :)

Warm Regards,
Nina

Yes i second the opinion of Nina, catererGlobal always post Hotels related jobs, you must check it out there.

Plus as long as your fiance working for emirates, why dont you  look into the same company under catering division?

Hello,

As per your research yes the salary is very low, but salary brackets here are usually set based on your nationality, skill set and experience. So you can easily make at least 8000+ here as a bartender, provided you apply to good bars (Marriott, Cove beach etc)
With experience here in Dubai the package would increase yes and you will have better offers.
Working hours for bartenders are very strange and usually its based on rosters, don't know how they work internally with rotating/switching shifts but yes you need to complete the assigned hours for the week. 30 days annual leave usually after 1 year completion but depends on your contract terms with the employer.

Usual contracts are 2 years at least, fixed contracts can be for anytime, 3-6 months or more.
Laws have been quite easy now with switching job even if you are under a 2 year contract (must complete at least 6 months to avoid ban, depends on your salary bracket otherwise and position on the employment visa). Otherwise if its a free zone visa then you dont have to worry about any repercussions

Hope it helps!.

Hi,

they are looking for Bartenders, apply at [email protected]

Good Luck