Cost of living in Puerto Rico - 2017

Clarification! The AC is for only one room where is the hottest. Is going to be higher if it's all the house.  A friend had it mostly all day and it when up for about $600.

That's way to high!!

trekrider520 wrote:

>How much do you pay for electricity/gas/water? Electric bill without AC $80 a month with AC on for about 8 hrs $160. Water is about $60 on average.

Wow - that's quite reasonable!  When we lived in an apartment in OSJ, we ran AC only at night and only in one bedroom (set at 78).  Our electric bill was $350-400/month.

Depends on a number of factors:
1) room leaks and insulation
2) size of room vs BTUs
3) number of people in the room
4) type of aircionditioner
5) efficientcy of air conditioner
6) age of last charge

A window unit is not very efficient compared to other models and if it has not been recharged, it may not have sufficient gas to work efficiently. Also some windows leak and some wall in the room could be heated heavily during the day when exposed to the sun.

Going on 2 months on the island, our expenses:

Electricity- $65
Water - $40
Food - $300
Gas - $25/wk
Mics.(fresh bread, sweets) - $15-$25/wk
Internet- $45
Cell - $150(3lines)
Eating out - $100
House phone- $25
TV- $25

We have fruits and vegetables on our patio. Buy groceries locally, look at specials and visit the flea market on wknds. We also have Amazon prime and Netflix for tv

Dam good numbers Adlin, so basically 400 for food including bread and sweets.
What is that Internet package and how well it works for you given you are working remote?

I go to www.shop.pr when I'm looking for a specific item on sale. I usually look for chicken breast and it shows where is on sale.

ReyP wrote:
trekrider520 wrote:

>How much do you pay for electricity/gas/water? Electric bill without AC $80 a month with AC on for about 8 hrs $160. Water is about $60 on average.

Wow - that's quite reasonable!  When we lived in an apartment in OSJ, we ran AC only at night and only in one bedroom (set at 78).  Our electric bill was $350-400/month.

Depends on a number of factors:
1) room leaks and insulation
2) size of room vs BTUs
3) number of people in the room
4) type of aircionditioner
5) efficientcy of air conditioner
6) age of last charge

A window unit is not very efficient compared to other models and if it has not been recharged, it may not have sufficient gas to work efficiently. Also some windows leak and some wall in the room could be heated heavily during the day when exposed to the sun.

Good points Rey. We can't prove it, but many other families in Capitolio Plaza (our complex) also had extraordinarily high electric bills - they suspected something fishy going on there. When we moved in all the ACs were replaced, so they were brand new.

Maybe somebody is stealing electricity. It is rather high, if you were running a pool I could understand, but a single AC to sleep should not be that high.
Based on 400 a month that translate ro about 1,600 KWH.

ReyP wrote:

Dam good numbers Adlin, so basically 400 for food including bread and sweets.
What is that Internet package and how well it works for you given you are working remote?

We god rid of Claro and switch to 4Net, going in over a month and the service has not dropped once. During the day we used for work and at night we can download movies from Netflix and Amazon without any issues.

When we built the house, we decided the install all LED lighting, purchased high efficiency appliances and the ACs are all inverters. We use the office AC all day and the one in our room at night. Based on our electric bill I can't be more pleased.

I would be very pleased also with just 80 a month, specially in PR where elect kwh is twice as expensive as here in MA.

We are pleasantly surprised with the electric bill. My original budget was $150/month so even if it goes up to $100/m I will be happy. I honestly don't understand why in the metro area you guys are paying so much. If my bill was that high, I will be thinking on going solar power. Right now it doesn't make sense for me to do the investment.

Our first electric bill was significantly less than I expected too.  Three bdrm condo only $50.  We ar running the ac a bit more this month so we'll see if it makes a huge difference but I was prepared for much higher.  This is way less than what I was paying in PA.

MimiEv wrote:

Our first electric bill was significantly less than I expected too.  Three bdrm condo only $50.  We ar running the ac a bit more this month so we'll see if it makes a huge difference but I was prepared for much higher.  This is way less than what I was paying in PA.

Maybe it is that you have changed your ways in PR,  like not turning on lights since there is so much sunlight that most of the time it is not needed during the day. Also knowing that it was going to be expensive maybe made you more careful. Either way, cheap is good.

You're right. I never turn on lights during the day, and I unplug appliances when I'm not using and switch off the power strip when I'm not charging or overnight.  Good habits to follow anyway.

The biggest problem with internet service on the island is not knowing whether you will have power. A mobile hotspot and UPS backup (even better a generator) is essential. I have had about 10 power outages in about 3 months here in Isabela, 2 of those lasting more than a day. If you work online this can get to be a hassle.

Make sure your meter and bill matches!!! They can legally charge you for 4 months previous bills if meter not read correctly.

In isla verde running the AC at night and half of the day, tv on or computer on most of the day electric was about 125, in Carolina now it's up to about 275 with just an old AC running about 3 hours and a mini split in bedroom at night. Old appliances make a huge difference. Can't wait till our lease is up!

About entertainment :
I just want to point out that many restaurants have specials designed around a couple. 2 dinners for 20 or 25 are common and may include a drink. Unless you go out a lot or go out more for drinks than for a meal, your budget does not need to include a lot for entertainment, so going out 4 times a month could be 100-200 and may not bust your budget.

Some beaches like Luquillo charge 4 bucks per car for parking which is pretty good. Some others lately have started to charge 2 dollars per person which I think it is too much. But as long as they keep the place clean of trash and sea weed, add showers and take care of security I won't bitch too much.

Buying meats in bulk if you have the space and a generator can payoff. Keep an eye on specials and go early so you are there before they run out.

Grow what you can at home, even if it just spices.

When buying property or just renting, think about how much space you really need, specially if you are retired. While ok now, in 5 to 10 years the place may be too big to maintain and clean. There is a difference between WANT and NEED.

Rey

Most rentals comes without appliances, so if you have to buy a fridge, make sure is high efficiency. It will pay off in the long run.
I will agree about changing habits, open the windows during the day and enjoy the breeze, if your room is facing the sun, before turning that ac in the evening, hose the walls to cool them up. Use LED lights, gas stove are more efficient than electric. If you don't have a solar heater, use one inline instead. You don't need hot water for laundry or washing hands, turn the faucet off. Watch for leaks, they will add up.

hello there! ...me again ;-)

Any ideas how much could be a healt insurance for a family of 3 ( 2 adults +1 children) or any recommend company where I could get a quotation?

It I should be provided for the employer Or it is and optional?

Thanks in advance for your helps as alway!

Here is a link to an article on this subject.  Generally, the cost of health insurance is less expensive in Puerto Rico than in the States.  Oftentimes, it includes dental coverage. http://livinginpuertorico.com/health-in … erto-rico/
Another point about healthcare out-of-pocket costs. I just had an operation. My health insurance is still from my former employer in New York so I have to lay out the money and then submit it to my health insurance for reimbursement.  The point I want to make is that the total cost of the hospital and doctor and tests (before getting any reimbursement) was half of what it would have cost in New York.

Try these:
Triple S https://www.ssspr.com/SSSPortal Tel. (787) 774-6060
1-877-357-9777 (Toll Free)

MCS health insurance
https://www.mcs.com.pr/es/Paginas/default.aspx

Both are major health insurance companies in PR.

maxdelman wrote:

hello there! ...me again ;-)

Any ideas how much could be a healt insurance for a family of 3 ( 2 adults +1 children) or any recommend company where I could get a quotation?

It I should be provided for the employer Or it is and optional?

Thanks in advance for your helps as alway!

Compared to the states, health insurance here is cheap. I could say around $300 a lil more or less. I suggest triple sss mainly because everyone accept it. Also, auxilio mutuo has great  coverage and it covers basic dental but you could only go to their hospital
Located in Ave. Juan Ponce de Leon in San Juan. Coverage plans are here:
http://auxilioplandesocios.com/cubierta.php.
787.758.2000 ext. 4099

Has anyone inquired about solar power?  Cost of installation?  I know you can buy kits and do it yourself.

issacruz wrote:

Has anyone inquired about solar power?  Cost of installation?  I know you can buy kits and do it yourself.

A basic, yet helpful website.

For those worried about the environment, an oft-overlooked environmental cost of solar here.

issacruz wrote:

Solar systems is a awesome option, specially here in PR. You could go online and as you mentioned buy a kit where it explains the steps. I have a friend that is thinking on doing that but his a tech savvy person, I'm not!. If you need of a quote or a professional company, I'll glady recommend you a company.

I would recommend one to live in PR for about 3 months to figure out your KWH needs before making the decision to go solar.

Totally agree with Rey!

Solar is getting more and more available in the island. One company will "lease" the equipment to you. They do a study of your usage and recommend the system size for your place. The cost is around $.18/kw not bad since the kw is around $.27 with AEE.
Do your homework, the lease is for 30yrs, transferable to the next owner in case you sell the house. The kw price is incremental, by the end of the lease you will be paying around $.30/kw. They will maintain the equipment and replace any damage equipment during the lease period. At the 5yr mark, you have the option to purchase the equipment off the lease. You will still be tied to AEE and have a $3/month line service charge. If you go over the kw allowed, AEE will change you the difference.

I don't like contracts I rather buy it and pay the installation and maintenance from time to time. Specially a 30 year contract.

Thanks for the information adlin20. I do have to did with Rey I would rather buy and do the install or have someone install for me and own the system.  I think solar is great and why not use the sun power like a spot in the islands.  It just makes that sustainable life more achievable

If and when I install mine, I will purchase the system. I got the information from my sister, she is going this route. She is paying right now between $170-230/month in electric bill. With the solar system her bill will come down to $130/month. Not bad in this economy.

The system to purchase is around $15-20K, so this is a way to go if you can't afford to buy right away. My only concern is the life expectancy of the converter, they are saying it only last between 5-7yrs. At a $4-7K cost to replace not sure is the ROI is there. Some companies are coming out with new technologies in the next year, I am waiting to see if it improve before committing.

her per KWH under that system will start around 18 cents and go up over the years ending around 30 cents per KWH toward the end of the contract.
Assuming 20,000 for cost (cash), and assuming a pre installation bill of 200 (mid point of her bill) it will take 100 months to equal her bill or 8.33 years to pay off the system (20,000 / 200 / 12). From that point on the only cost would be maintenance, new converter and replacement parts which is likely to be less that 500 a year or 42 bucks a month set aside each month for when needed.

The one item not discussed was the use of a battery or not in that 15k to 20k figure.

No, it is a on the grid system, she will be connected to the AEE with a line maintenance cost of $3/month.

My electric bill is around $65-75/month(going on my second month in the island full time), not high enough to justify the expense right now. I think that if you invest in high efficiency appliances and use it wisely you can save some money, even with the high cost of electricity.

We use the AC in our room at night and the one in the office during the day. On cool days we open the office windows and enjoy the breeze. The water heater is off, too hot to use right now.

Even then Adlin, a good part of the cost is the number of panels needed and if you use little, you will need a lot less panels than your sister so your cost to buy a system for your needs is likely to be closer to 9K.

Anyone have experience with the Tesla home battery?

Also, newer houses here use the inverter air conditioners. I have 4 in my house. Much cheaper than traditional units.

I had a traditional AC unit in my previous apartment, and the energy usage was much higher. Plus they look a lot nicer, can be mounted on the wall of the room, and no need for a unit sticking out of a window.

Absolutely agree with islandman,  AC inverters will save you a lot of money. Those old AC units are ugly and will Doble or even triple your monthly bill.

Islandman wrote:

Also, newer houses here use the inverter air conditioners. I have 4 in my house. Much cheaper than traditional units.

I had a traditional AC unit in my previous apartment, and the energy usage was much higher. Plus they look a lot nicer, can be mounted on the wall of the room, and no need for a unit sticking out of a window.

Great to know! I always thought these were more expensive than the window ones. Will definitely be investing in the inverter air conditioners now.

ReyP wrote:

Even then Adlin, a good part of the cost is the number of panels needed and if you use little, you will need a lot less panels than your sister so your cost to buy a system for your needs is likely to be closer to 9K.

I will agree with your estimate, give or take a couple of grands. Right now, only a few installers available outside of the big companies here in the island. Hopefully it will change in the coming years. I have a friend of my brother that lives up in the mountains and he is 100% off the grid. I am trying to hook up with him for some information exchange.

Whatever you find out please pass along I would love to live off the grid