Studying in Germany

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in Germany?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in Germany?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

Many German universities and institutes of higher learning are world class and some belong to the top (e.g. in automotive engineering, not surprizingly).
There are two main points to keep in mind when considering studies in Germany:

1. There are no tuition fees
Attending most regular courses is free of charge (except for a small administrative and social fee). However, living in Germany, even as a student, is not cheap. To get a student visa (if you need one) requires proven financial reserves of EUR8300 per year of study - and that is also the minimum you need to survive. Do not consider coming if you have less (or if you intend to earn your living with side jobs while studying, which isn't really possible)!

2. The language of teaching is German
Most universities require a language proficiency of B2 or even C1 for entry. This is needed so you can understand lessons and follow the curriculum.
While more and more universities are offering some courses in English, those do not fall under the "no tuition fee" rule above. And even if attending them, it is useful to have at least a basic understanding of German, otherwise your social life would be bleak.

hey

i live in Dusseldorf Germany , its not that easy because you need to have a high level in the German language to be able to go on , plus you need to have papers to be allowed to live and study in Germany ,
i do recommend but it takes hard work .

all the best

Yes
Hamburg University

Hello,

Every thing is rightly explained but i would like to correct few things,

First, you should deposit block amount of 8640 Euro for studying,

Second, Baden Wuerttemberg province has impose fees on Non-EU students who would like to come to Germany for studying from Oct 2017, which is 1500 Euro per Semester, their is on going protest but until now it has finalized but i am not sure they will take their decision back or not.

Third, their are plenty of varieties of courses available in English for Master's students but very few for Bachelor's.

Last but not the least, German language is very much important for your daily life and for finding work as well, it is highly unlikely or you should be very lucky for finding the job without German language. In my city language is not the huge barrier and i live in Stuttgart and until now my all jobs are in English and very less German language related but it is not always the case and not at all in every city.

Hi everyone!

In my opinion Germany is an an excellent academic destination. Quality education, more practical, independent learning and high commitment. It depends on the program, there are several international programs instructed in English especially postgraduate programs. German language programs are also there that require good foundation if German language (there are required levels).

I would recommend people to plan to study in Germany, if one wish to study abroad.

This is experience from TU Dresden, in the Eastern Germany!

Cheers..

HINGI.

Dear Priscilla,
thanks for asking my opinion about stdying in Germany, I am not an expert in this Point, but I can confirm the above posts. If you get the chance to study in Germany you should take it. There are also some subjects in English language, e. g. Electrical Communicataion Engeneering in Kassel, my hometown. There are a lot of prestigeous universities, depending of the subjects. In genreal you have to take the University place you get.
Best regards
waschbär

Like already mentioned, German Universities have a good reputation. Basically they are tuition free for Germans (but books cost and other fees are incurred). Until now, foreigners are tuition free as well but as AmmadAhmed wrote, they are starting to impose such fees in Baden-Württemberg. This is a bit controversial and I think is being challenged in court but I predict it will possibly become standard in most of the country. The fact is that it cost money to run Universities and the money has to come from somewhere. By having it paid for by taxes rather than tuition means even poor Germans get to study. But foreign Students and their families pay no taxes, so why should they not pay a fair tuition? For the level of education it is still very reasonable if one compares to private Universities or any American ones plus it is less than the actual cost to the government for a student. Thus it is still being subsidized, just not as much.

Also, one should note that the 8640 Euro deposit that AmmadAhmed mentions is not a fee. This is an amount to cover minimal annual living expenses. One needs to come up with this money to get the study visa because they don't want foreign students without money having to beg around or work on the side to finance their studies. Some part time work like bartending or waiting tables is not uncommon but this should be to supplement ones budget and not earn enough to live from. One should be able to concentrate on their studies and a study visa is not meant to mean one can just work. I find this fair because there is a difference between studying and working. And that they allow some part time work at all is not always the case. In America for example, such work for foreign students is limited to part time, on campus jobs through the university.

I would highly recommend study at the Goethe
Institut, especially in Germany.  It was for me truly an immersion experience. I met tons of young people and professionals. And the instruction was practical as well as cultural.

Hello ,
Thanks for the email.
Have a nice day
Ray