Private health insurance

Does anyone here contribute to a private health scheme in Malta? I am moving over soon , and will be applying for residency under the self sufficiency rules. Can anyone recommend a company and what sort of annual costs. I know everyone is different but I'm a reasonably fit and healthy mid fifties male, with no medications . I'm a uk citizen, so have a few years left before I qualify for my uk state pension and the rhs scheme. Many thanks

As far as I am aware, unless the rules have changed, you do not have to be of pension age to qualify for cover under the RHA scheme.
See the following:  https://health.gov.mt/en/cbhc/Pages/Ent … ltaUK.aspx   It is sufficient for eResidence application and only requires your passport.

The cover when you reach state pension age is via the S1 form and gives full cover.

Ray

Thanks for your reply ray. I looked at the link and it seems as you say. Here's hoping anyway. Best wishes

Thanks for your reply ray. I looked at the link and it seems as you say. Here's hoping anyway. Best wishes

We had a Certificate of Entitlement via the RHA when we first arrived 4 years ago and there was never any mention of age, we just showed our passports, filled in the form and that was it.
Later we applied via the S1 and that gives you full cover, even when you go back to the UK . It also enables you to apply for an EHIC from the UK as well, which the RHA doesn't.

Ray

Thanks for reply ray. Until I get my  eresidence card I will have my ehic card. I'm just a little confused, as when I get residency I will then lose my rights to  EHIC, and therefore rely on RHA . I take it you applied for S1 when you reached retirement age.? So in the meantime I  will have to rely on RHA, until I reach retirement age, which in my case will be 66, 9 years time, unless the buggers move the goalposts again. I can then apply for S1 and  live happily ever after? Please say yes!!

alftupper wrote:

Thanks for reply ray. Until I get my  eresidence card I will have my ehic card. I'm just a little confused, as when I get residency I will then lose my rights to  EHIC, and therefore rely on RHA . I take it you applied for S1 when you reached retirement age.? So in the meantime I  will have to rely on RHA, until I reach retirement age, which in my case will be 66, 9 years time, unless the buggers move the goalposts again. I can then apply for S1 and  live happily ever after? Please say yes!!

Yes to most of it!
Your EHIC becomes invalid the moment you apply for your eResidence as you cease to be a tourist, you can not get one from Malta unless you are paying contributions into the system and you can't get one from the UK till the S1 which is when you reach state retirement age.
Cover via the RHA is ok for most needs but does not cover long term health care whereas the S1 route does and covers you when you visit the UK.

You should be ok with RHA but only you can make the decision and you would need travel insurance if you go abroad and want to be covered.

Ray

Thank you for your help

When you get Maltese residency are the UK authorities notified?  I still have 'significant interests' in the UK and work and pay tax and NI when in the UK.  According to the HMRC website that makes me still officially a UK resident although I live in Malta and have a Maltese residency card.  I still have a UK address and have had no trouble seeing my UK GP when over there.

We went last week, you basically have to start paying tax in order to be covered fully under social security, or get private insurance. It only covers you for emergency care and not like normal treatment.

My wife found the cheapest one was like 250 euros or something like that.

1) our # 1 concern is health insurance it seems as though you need to buy a private policy. Is that true????I have been quoted around $1000 annually I am confused to what that covers. We were also told he needs to buy health insurance before he turns 64?   Do most people buy a catastrophic plan to pay for hospitalizations & just go to the local pharmacy & see a doctor & pay cash for the visit & for prescriptions?
2) I am confused as to why my husband a British passport holder cannot get National Health Insurance since UK & Malta have a Reciprocal Health Agreement I was told by a Residency and Citizenship Advisor that ."If client is entitled for a UK pension please ask for an S1 from UK both for him and his dependent.  Upon registration of S1 at our office, a Certificate of Entitlement is issued.  This entitles holder to health care in public hospitals in Malta (same as Maltese)." He is not retirement age yet will be 64 in February .
3) We were planning on applying fort the ordinary Ordinary Residence (OR) program any thoughts on that?
Our situation:
My husband is a UK citizen but has been living in the states for the last 35 years working by having a green card. We are looking into a UK pension since he did work for about 12 years before moving to the states.
Thanks in advance
DESPERATE TO RETIRE :)

Toon has already this question of yours in the pinned post at the top of the forum.

Can someone confirm the S1 rule. It all changed here last November unless you already have the S1 but I've spoken to the British overseas health department and the S1 moves you healthcare to Malta and then you can't get it in the uk unless you transfer it back. Had anyone done this since last Christmas please. I had the RHA when I arrived but reached reached retirement age whilst here and now that have taken it away from me. Please don't reply to this if you already had the S1 before last Xmas ad it doesn't apply to you only to new applicants this year thanks

johnny1126, you are correct - if you use S1 from DWP for a Certificate of Entitlement your health care is transferred to Malta and you will have to pay for any healthcare in the UK. This was confirmed by the British Consul in Malta last year and the DWP in Britain.  You can alternatively take out private health insurance for which I have been quoted for myself and husband at Euros 3,000 per annum which does not cover any pre-existing conditions!

Which company ?