Car Insurance

Hello - I'm currently living in Rosarito, and have Mexican car insurance. I have a CA driver's license and CA registration on my car, which I intend to keep. I plan to drive to the states periodically, and don't know what to do about car insurance when I'm in the States. Geico cancelled me, even though I have an address in San Diego County. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am not an expert but clarification is required on your status.

Still the questions, first are you living permanently in Mexico? If so, then you have to comply with the INM rules visa and residency wise. Also, have to comply with the mexican Aduana rules in regards to the importation of vehicule (no more vehicule plated outside Mexico except with a tourist visa max 180 days).

If you are on a tourist visa (180 days max), then I presume you still have a residence in the States so you should be able to keep american car insurance.

Buena suerte, GyC.

Gracias, GyC - I am here on a tourist visa as I'm not sure how long I'm staying. I don't, however, have a residence in the US, just a mailing address. Should that be sufficient for car insurance? It seems to be fine with Medicare.

No idea, since I am Canadian, sure some one will be able to awnser that. Good luck again, GyC.

Trying to equate government and a private insurance company may be futile.
Did Geico tell you why it cancelled?
Your worst case solution is to buy temporary insurance for the US at the border for the days you plan to be in the US.

I would contact Geico and find out what the problem is. Most of their activity is on line. Perhaps you have a friend's address that you can use. They don't insure in Mexico which is the likely problem, except for your having a US license, and address. Just being a visitor should allow you to just have Geico and drive back and forth as long as you stick to the area you are in. Only they have the answers.

I had Mexican insurance and Geico until I became permanent because I was back and forth a lot, and live in southern Mexico.Of course Mexico is changing rules again so you might want to check that also.
As we say here , never a dull moment.

hi,
i am an american with a mexican vehicle and mexican insurance. the maximum liability i can find here is 4,000,000 or 200k US.  If you have a strong asset portfolio don't get a drive your vehicle into the US. 

All US insurance companies i searched will not cover vehicles titled in Mexico.
Let me know if you would like me to refer you to a mexican Insurance agent who may be able to answer your questions.

I'd keep looking for a US company that will cover you while in the US.